View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Ok, I probably scared everyone

Ok, I probably scared everyone off with my unedited improvisation in the Contemporary Classical section. I'll get back to it later, after I add some metronomeless transcription support in Composer.

I improvised the following short piece several years ago when I was doing some usability testing on Composer's recording feature. I improvised one track at a time (with a metronome), layering up different sounds as I went.

The style is sort of that of a soundtrack for a space adventure movie. This isn't a style I usually work with (nor is the style of the AmericanProkofieff improv in the Contemporary Classical section a style I usually work with).

The piece is really just a demo, not a convincingly complete piece.

This is the original improvisation:
<center><table border=1><tr><td>Stars.not
stars.not (65.3 k)</td></tr></table></center>

This is a cleaned up version of the piece:
<center><table border=1><tr><td>Stars12.not
stars12.not (61.2 k)</td></tr></table></center>

This is a MIDI orchestration, not one written out for real acoustic instruments. I also have a "real" orchestral version of this, that uses the Garritan Peronsal Orchestra (GPO) sound library.

This Stars piece is open for criticism. I don't have a strong personal attachment to it, although I do consider one of the better of the short pieces I banged out using Composer. For purposes of critique, please refer to the cleaned up version (Star12.not) rather than the original improvisation, which I submitted so you could see what I did to turn the improv into a short piece.

Cheers
-- Mark