View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 07:06 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: Transcribing solo paino recordings

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookbend View Post

So you're saying for clean, solo instrument solo's Melodyne is very good and reproduces notation accurately? These kind of solos are exactly what I need.
Melodyne is an audio editor that will give you a MIDI output but does not give sheet music notation. It is not our product, but is developed by Celemony. Melodyne plus one of our products - which will take that .mid file and transcribe it to sheet music - may get you where you want to go

Quote:
Usually CHORDS IN THE RIGHT HAND ARE NOT PRESENT in these solos. Does this help the output accuracy?
Chord notes won't make any difference to the transcription accuracy, but they do help when improvising over changes (I play bass in a big band, and ergo have to read sheets AND know the changes if I only get chord names).

Quote:
Melodyne is $99. Small change for me, if it works. Can't think of any accessory features needed. So the upper end packages not needed.
I don't know if the "Melodyne Essential" contains the MIDI export - which is what you would need for sheet music - or not. I have an older version of the Melodyne Editor (they've only with the latest release offered smaller subsets of features.) I guess the best thing to do is give it a trial run and see if it does what you want.

Do let us know if it works for you. We get a lot of queries about getting sheet music from audio recordings, so we're always interested in the results that others get from various resources.

ttfn,
Sherry