View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 03:09 PM

Default Advanced Tips Request

I'm looking for some tips, from folks who have been deep into Notation Composer, to tweak some of the performance. The attached score was originally written for Male Chorus, Baritone Soloist and Rhythm Section by Bob Walters. Bob was in the USAF Band at the same time I was a member of the Band's Arranging Staff back in the '60s. I added the strings.

I'm retired now and getting back into writing, using Notation Composer as the writing medium and a Yamaha Clavinova as the playing medium. The Male Chorus had to be replaced with "Choir Ahs" and the Baritone Soloist by a trombone.

The tweaks I'd like to make are that the piano playing and the trombone in places sound very percussive, like the pianist is really pounding the keys instead of a soft legato touch, and the trombone sounds in places are too hard an attack on the notes. I want the volume level to be where it is, but I want the performance to be smoother. This question really relates to all instruments, but only the piano and trombone in this score.

Also, if I've covered my bases, the only glissando that Notation Composer can incorporate is a notation mark -- not actually a performed glissando. In the final measure, I've created a close semblance of a glissando by building a chord, which Notation ripples through, but is this the easiest, most effective way to do this?

Sherry has been very helpful in giving me guidance, but I thought I'd ask the Forum users if there are any suggestions from their experiences.
Attached Files
File Type: not White Christmas.not (262.7 KB, 9 views)