View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hi Sherry,

Hi Sherry,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I also noticed that you don't use any controllers or graphing capabilities to get variations in dynamic - they're all done with just the "loudness" of the notes, and the way your rhythmic figures work together to achieve a crescendo feel. That's a great way to use simple tools to get a rich effect.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Actually, the "tool" is just my fingers on the MIDI keyboard. I achieve the large MIDI note velocities by, no surprise, playing the notes louder on the keyboard. This should work for the "Sherry method" of composing. When you record the rhythms of notes, temporarily ignoring their pitches, you can also control the loudness of the notes as you play them. Then later, you only need to change the pitches-- both the rhythms and the loudnesses of the notes will be what you want, or at least what you recorded.

Here is the GPO version of the piece and the corresponding .GPO file:

<center><table border=1><tr><td>Stars18.not
stars 18 GPO.not (85.5 k)</td></tr></table></center> <center><table border=1><tr><td>Stars18GPO.gpo
stars 18 GPO.gpo (82.1 k)</td></tr></table></center>

I'm getting some horrible distortions when I play this through GPO Studio here. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I suspect I may have maxed out the volume levels applied to the samples. Do you get the same distortion? (It's not subtle.) If so, do you know how to fix it?

Cheers
-- Mark