View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 12:12 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Re: Advanced Tips Request

Hi, rrayner:

I see that the note velocity you've used for input across the board is 96, which is a pretty high value (0-127 is the range). That translates to a strong forte or light double forte.

Velocity affects not only the volume of the note, but, as with acoustic instruments, usually the timbre as well, so it's more subtle than simple volume changes. That is part of why the piano and trombone seem to be blasting away.

If you choose Note Velocity from the main palette, you can edit the velocity of the notes, either individually or by group. To do so, simply click and drag the mouse cursor over the notes you wish to edit until they turn blue (the notation equivalent of choking them?) and use "L" + "down arrow" to lower the velocity and "L" + up arrow to raise it.

To select the whole track, simply click on the staff's blue arrow at the left (staff controls) and type "qcrn" (quick change region to notes) to select all the notes.

You could also try adding some sustain (damper) pedal to the keyboard part, either manually (GraphOverNotes/pedals icon) or by playing them on your Clavinova's sustain pedal. To do the latter without recording over the entered notes, you need to add a new staff that uses the same midi channel as the keyboard part, then record the pedal events to that new staff. You can then merge the staves (qms or Staff menu/Merge Staves) to combine them.

On the question of glissando, do you mean portamento or a fingered gliss? Composer doesn't have any specific notation for a fingered gliss -- the arpeggiated chord you have in bar 72 is the closest. I usually just notate the gliss.

I see that the double bass has a fingered gliss in bar 71, which, being a string instrument, could be either a fingered run or a portamento. For a true portamento, you can use combination of Midi Continous Controller 5 (Portamento time) and Continous Controller 65 (Portamento On/Off) to do trombone slide type stuff. That is, if your Clavinova can do true portamento, which may not be the case.

If your synth can't do portamento, you might be able to use pitch bend to simulate the glide.

Good luck.

David