View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 06:01 AM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Mark, I can see the full

Hi Mark,

I can see the full width, and find it quite attractive. I say "it" because both URLs lead to the same thing. However, I tried inserting a "2" for "1" after copy/pasting the address in a new tab, and would have to say that I liked the appearance of the one that came up better. Purely subjective, of course, but the colors seem somehow more serious, if that's the word, or perhaps I should say less glitzy.

The best feature might be the example panel with sound. I don't know, of course, exactly what will happen when one clicks "Let Composer Format It" or "Control How It Sounds," but I would suggest that both Windows and Page view be included in the progress from tab to tab. Also, that it might be useful to include links to more than one example, although the one shown seems appropriate, and that the examples contain several types of music, e.g., a hymn with lyrics and piano or organ accompaniment; a bit of a larger orchestral work (from the 4th section of the Overture to William Tell, or a familiar Mozart symphony; a contemporary song with the usual accompaniment would be good, but might involve copyright problems; and perhaps something in the Country vein. I'm not trying to be exhaustive; mainly just suggesting that there be examples that might appeal to the musical interests of more people. This panel seems to have a lot of potential. Would there be enough space to give the panel a title, such as "Examples of Using Composer" or "How Composer Works?"

Otherwise, as I switch between 1 and 2, something nagged at me and I think it is that other that the flashy blue of 1 or the blue-gray of 2, everything seems to have a white or very light gray background, with a lot of white space on the right part of the screen. Could some coordinated background color(s)be added at the bottom?

I'm afraid this won't be much help, since I have no experience with designing web pages. It's just a personal reaction, mostly to examples of usage, which I think quite exciting.

all best,
mgj