View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 09:06 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi Adrian, I've been re

Hi Adrian,

I've been reading this thread with something close to consternation. It seems that some people technically adept (in their own estimation, at least) at making good recordings were being nasty about your song, which I thought quite good and well orchestrated, when I listened a couple of times at the first address you posted, and still thought so when I listened again at Soundclick. It is a rather unpleasant vision : people whose task it is to make the listening experience as satisfying as possible, who seem to start somewhere other than with an appreciation of the music, itself. Unless they are someday going to be responsible for producing a recording of something you write, it would seem to me that thinking about them is a waste of time that might better be spent writing more music.

The tread started with your post of the "Dark...Memories," which used Vocaloid. I thought you might be interested in looking at another that I ran across two, maybe three years ago. It was a module that would plug into a music notation program I tried out back then, when I was searching for what I finally found in MidiNotate. I have been searching my head and computer for the name of it, but have come up empty (it was at least two wipes and reinstalls of XP ago). All I can recall for sure is that it was European, I think French, and either the company or program starts with "M" (Minerva jumps to mind, but I don't know) and it was modestly priced--maybe $30. As I recall the voice module had several voices, from a sultry, breathy female to an operatic tenor. I tried it for a few measures of my "Simple Gifts," and that sounded fairly decent. If I can recall any more, I'll post the information in Third Party Products.

I did look up Vocaloid, but it's price is way beyond my means.

Anyhow, your song is a success, as far as I'm concerned, and I will be hearing it again. Those guys on that forum: irrelevant.

all best,
mgj