View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again

Howdy Ralph,

Fabulous!

I really enjoyed listening to this piece, and hearing how you used so many tools that really enhance the performance. Mark would be proud of that. And the arrangement - wowza! Now on my playlist

As for the drums, I have a feeling I know what's up. When I checked the staff settings for the drums, it was a "manually entered" bank. I suspect your Clavinova has a "special" drum set/bank that has that drum roll "instrument" (pseudo-pitch) in it, which is not a part of the General MIDI specification. Thus, that same pseudo-pitch which gives such a nice drum roll on the Clavinova gives only a swish (or in my case, squelch) in GM (general MIDI). I used Staff/Split drums, and set that particular drum instrument to a simple acoustic snare, and it's much more fitting, though not as nice as the drum roll I'm sure you have in mind for that.

Thanks for sharing this piece with us. I love hearing your arrangements, and they do inspire me personally to learn new things. I noticed you left the piano open to the player. Mark was working to learn how to improv, and he really wanted to learn how to play jazz, so it's a fitting bit there, even if it's not what you really left the piano open for

It is also my desire for Notation Software and our community here to continue. I'm a part-owner of the company (Mark was the majority stockholder), and Mark's family has indicated that they want me to figure substantially in the decision about what to do with the business. I will do my best to ensure that support and further development do continue - Mark was always concerned about ongoing support for our customers in the event of any changes. I'm praying for wisdom in all this. Any decisions will not be for a little while, though, as Mark's family are dealing with a lot of items right now, and I'm trying to give them as much room as they need for that. I'll keep everyone posted in the announcements section as to what transpires.

Peace to us all,
Sherry