Thread: Great software
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Viv and Jaap, Thanks,

Hello Viv and Jaap,

Thanks, Viv, for your enthusiastic comments about Composer; and thanks, Jaap, for the report of your neighbor's first impressions of Composer.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

An improvement in my opinion would be to make it just as easy to write a tempo variation e.g. rall., a tempo on the music as it is to write FF, or PF etc by either drop down menu or pallet as at the moment there appaers to be no easy way to do this other than to type it in.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>I can now hear a couple of the early beta testers reading your comment and thinking, "I told you so, Mark". This feature was asked for, and I didn't get around to adding it. Sometimes we silly developers think that if a feature is really easy to add like this one, it probably isn't needed. Instead we work for weeks on features that only a few people use. I've tried to avoid doing this, but I can point to both kinds of examples. I should have included a "common music vocabulary" feature in Composer 1.0, as you have suggested. I'll do that soon, as it will only take a couple hours of work. The feature is particularly handy because then you don't have to look up the spelling of the Italian word(s) in your Oxford or Harvard Dictionary of Music, if you happen to have one.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers
-- Mark