View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Michael Dodson (michael8648)

Default And so we jump farther into Ac

And so we jump farther into Act II:
Herod has sent spies chasing after visitors from the East who are in search of a new King of Israel. They lost most of the spies, but one has joined ranks with the wisemen. Even great men must escape the weather, and so we join the story:

JOSEPH:
Benjamin sleeps, finally. He has been such a help to us that we could never repay his kindness.
MARY:
He is very ill. More ill than he would say.
JOSEPH:
But we cannot help him. I fear his days with us are few. I know you love him deeply. I love the old boy, too.
{a lone man appears outside the front door and knocks loudly}
Who is knocking at this hour? The work never ends here.
MARY:
We could use the money, Joseph. They may be paying in silver.
JOSEPH:
I think I need to fix myself before someone else’s cartwheel.
{goes and opens door}
Yes? How can I help you? There is a baby in the house, so try not to make too much noise.
SCOUT1:
I come with travelers from the East. We have journeyed very far and must rest inside to be away from the evening mist.
JOSEPH:
I know you. You are one of Herod’s spies. There is nothing here to see. Go away.
SCOUT1:
Please, sir. I work no more for the evil Herod. We have journeyed far on a quest for a new and great king, but our quest was lost. We are only in search of shelter for the night. Jewish law says you should be kind to strangers, does it not?
JOSEPH:
There is more than one of you? I have an old man sleeping in a corner, a wife, child and a newborn sleeping in the backroom, and I may sleep standing up tonight.
SCOUT1:
We just need shelter. We have provisions. We can offer some food.
JOSEPH:
No, you are right. But go to the back door. Herod has spies everywhere. I guess you know that.
SCOUT1:
Thank you sir, and may God bless your house and all your children.
JOSEPH:
Yes. May God bless you too.
{closes door, returns to Mary}
We have visitors. I’m sorry my beloved. But they needed to be out of the damp night air and I offered them the shelter of our feeble roof.
MARY:
It has been a most unusual day. Jesus seems happy for the visit. Such a smile will win more hearts than mine, I believe.
JAMES: { running to Joseph in through the back door, panicked, leaves door open}
Papa! Papa! There are a legion of big men in the back! They have camels and horses and donkeys and big boxes on the backs of their animals and three of the big men are wearing gold and jewels!
JOSEPH:
We are safe, my son. They are visitors passing through the city. We must be generous and kind to our guests.
JAMES:
Wow! You never saw such a sight, Papa!
{scout1 and scout2 have entered from the door left open by James}
SCOUT2:
That’s him! That’s the man who held the baby before the star! And that must be the precious child and his mother,
SCOUT1:
{runs outside briefly as amazement continues. There are sounds of yelling muffled, then he enters again}
May I present great leaders from the East, Balthazar, Melchior and Kaspar, who have come to bear greetings and gifts to this baby.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>March of the Magi
March of the Magi.mid (39.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>