View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy guys, Ian, I just lis

Howdy guys,

Ian, I just listened to your piece with my eyes closed, and I liked what I heard As a bass player, I can feel a 4/4 groove going, but also almost a polyrhythmic groove as well, but maybe that's just the extra voices in my head ;) (I tend to hear other instruments "filling in" parts as I'm composing my own music, so I guess I tend to do that with others' as well.) I'd love to hear this fleshed out!

Anyway, I think what Mark was actually asking in his question "how you would want to reveal the metric structure of your music" is more of a "what is your dream for revealing the metric structure?" If you have a specific idea about how you think it should be represented, then we can possibly figure out a way (within the current constraints of Composer) to make that happen.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I am having some success getting an unbarred score EXCEPT that removing the bar lines seems to also have the effect of destroying what in a word-text you'd call the 'wrapping' - i.e the score presents as a single stave, which (with a length of 168 quarter notes) is completely unreadable. <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

One technique that I've recommended to some folks who want to score "plain chant" is to create bars of some "system-manageable" meter (eg. 20/4 or 28/4 or something similar) and then hiding the meter. This technique has the effect of putting single "bars" of 20 or 28 (or whatever) beats per system, so that it's readable, but it "appears" to be a single continuous un-metered bar. I think this would serve for your option 3 above.

I've confirmed that there is a problem with the playback of this file (I haven't observed it in others) if the meter is changed to something higher like 28/4. You can work around that problem by adding a short measure to the front of the score (eg. a 1/4 measure) and just hide the meter as you do for the rest of the score. I'll investigate this problem and write it up for our ace bug squasher

ttfn,
Sherry