View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Fred Winterling (harbor1)

Default Hi M G, Thanks for your int

Hi M G,

Thanks for your interest in “Ariadne”. I really appreciate your input into much of my stuff. Please feel free to take any of my songs and add your thoughts to them. It could be really interesting. Maybe sometime we could work on something together in our “free time”. That could be fun.

>quote: it's more an arresting piece, mostly because of a
very haunting melody and a harmonic (and sometimes disharmonic)
structure that works very well with it.

Aha! You uncovered one of my ‘secrets’. Eons ago ( before formal piano lessons ) my saxophone teacher taught me how to play a George Shearing style on piano that was very easy to learn because I didn’t have to worry about what to play with my left hand. The left hand was almost the exact same as the right hand, using full chords with both. The passing notes were played with the only finger I had left. You have probably noticed that I love a lot of Major 7ths and Sus 4’s ( often playing the root and the 7th or the 3rd and 4th together) which is what produces the discordance. I think it is buried in my subconscious and shows up no matter what style I’m playing. I’m often tempted to remove it but, what the heck, that’s me. Here’s a very short example of that style.

Cheers,
Fred
<center><table border=1><tr><td>
example.not (15.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>