View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 08:53 PM
Mike Mandaville

Default Hello again. Well, this mor

Hello again.

Well, this morning, the temperature was in the thirties. After it warmed up, at first I thought about driving on into town, but then I finally decided to just hold off until tomorrow, when I probably should be able to put in a full day, and maybe even some overtime. It's normal for my mowing season to start "in fits".

I need to reorient myself now, because I just downloaded the audio version of "Dadzilla", and, after listening to it, I have to say that I am very impressed. I still would like for the high hat to be brought up in the mix, though the song overall has turned out so well that at this point my high hat idea now appears to be of little consequence.

Therefore, rather than attempting to redo the mix, it now makes more sense to me to follow up on your suggestion of adding a guitar solo. I do think that this song could use a guitar solo, so I will put one together, and then you can tell me what you think of it. Of course, this will give me a chance to work on some of those pitch bends that I've been talking about. :-)

I thought about explaining my EQ situation in my last post, so, since you have brought the matter up yourself, I will therefore explain. I have my keyboard hooked up to a little ten watt amplifier right now, which has three tone controls. I keep the bass on maximum, and the midrange and treble on minimum. These settings, of course, tend to bury the high hat, so I am sure you can see what is going on here.

And, while I am on the subject, I might as well mention that my basic goal for this year is to get myself a bigger amplifier. Considering what I have now, this will not be difficult!

I live in what we call "the hill country", just southwest of Austin, Texas, within hollering distance of the Cowtown Restaurant, where Willie Nelson filmed a few scenes for his movie "Honeysuckle Rose". Since Janice Joplin and Stevie Ray Vaughn both once called Austin their hometown, we are, of course, no strangers to the blues around here. You have said that your husband likes the blues. Well, I'm sure that he must like "Dadzilla", because you have certainly done a good job on it.

Cheers

Mike