View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Hi Mike, Thanks for the fee

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feedback

Your observation about the drum track is a good one - I did use a soundfont (which is a very nice rendering of some acoustic drums - it sounds really nice), and it does indeed change the sound.

I haven't messed around much with the drums for this particular song, but after listening to the recording a few times, there are a couple of places where I want to change some dynamics and perhaps even a couple of instruments for a space. What is really nice about using Composer for all this is that I can change the dynamics and volumes so precisely for each note, using either the loudness of the note, or the volume control, and get some really crisp playing out of it.

So for drums for something like this, do you usually lean more toward the higher frequency instruments (cymbals, high hats, etc.)? I'm also wondering what effect EQ on anyone's "listening apparatus" may have. I tend to lean more toward the lower frequencies anyway, so that's probably just my personal preference coming into play, too. (I play bass a lot ).

I've also found that sometimes I get into doing some really fine adjusting of a drum track, and then all that work sort of fades out in the mix, so I have to sort of watch myself so that I don't go too overboard only to have it not make much (if any) difference to the song I've only got so many hours in a day...

BTW, if I may ask, what part of the country do you live in? We live out in the Thumb of Michigan. Very much "stereotypical midwestern", complete with crop fields literally miles long. And that is cool about your sister - I was a homeschool teacher even before I homeschooled our kids I started out by teaching science to some homeschooled kids. I love it all

ttfn,
Sherry