View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Senior User

Default Re: Transpose guitar chords without changing notes

Sherry

Thanks for the rapid and helpful clarification. I now understand what I can do and I have to conclude that I cannot completely achieve what I wanted to do which is to reproduce is the format found in many hymn books where the score is shown at concert pitch with Capo-ed chords above the score.

May I explain by a recent example. At a recent church service our brilliant violinist suddenly found she had no music with her. I said "just share with me" which was fine until we arrived at a song which I was playing with a Capo. It was a song in Bflat that I was playing with G chords at Capo 3. So I had transposed the score to G for my purposes, with a big reminder saying "Capo 3". Luckily our violinist was good enough to transpose on sight from G to Bflat.

I conclude from your explanation and my subsequent experimentation that I cannot generate a single printed score sheet that has the Capo-ed chords on one staff with the concert pitch notes on a second staff. It's no great issue if I cannot achieve it. I'll just have to plough through a concert pitch score and manually edit all of the chords - or constantly nag my instrumentalists to make sure they don't forget their scores.

Best wishes for 2011.
Tim