View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy Mark, I'm current

Howdy Mark,

I'm currently checking out the Player - nice!

I made a new folder in my Program Files folder to install it into, to hopefully avoid any potential conflicts with Composer, since I'm in the midst of Easter music and music lessons, so I can't afford any interruptions at the moment

A couple of observations:

1. I like the icon - good representation!

2. When you open it up, and if you indeed click on the "tutorial" button, nothing happens, except that the dialog box disappears. I'm presuming that this is because the Tutorial is part of the Help docs that you have yet to incorporate.

3. There is no "hover hint" for the "browse for midi files" button (the notes + globe button).

4. When I allowed a file to play through to the end (I checked on a few files), the Play button remained depressed, although it functioned normally as far as actual playing back if I clicked it again. All other permutations of functionality for play/rewind/fast forward seemed to work fine.

5. I think I found a few remnants from Musician that need to be pruned. I had changed the key signature for one of the files I tested, then changed it back using the Edit/Undo command. When I went to close this file, a dialog box opened and asked if I wanted to save the file (there is no such option in the File menu list), so just for kicks, I clicked Yes, then gave it (the file) a new name. When I then went back and re-opened this file, it gave me only one track(staff), which was not labelled as it had been originally (I didn't mess with that when I tested the original file). I then went to "Score/Select part" to see if I could bring back the two tracks (I was using the Minuet.mid file originally, and had 'saved' it as minuet player.not, according to the dialog box). When I selected "Score/Select part", it gave me an error message. The message was: "This NoteSoft.not file was not prepared with any specially formatted parts. You can instead use the Show Tracks command in the Track menu to select specific tracks to view or print." As far as I can see, there are no options for Tracks (it's not a menu item) in the Player.

I'm including the minuet player.not file here just for your amusement

<center><table border=1><tr><td>Player saved minuet file
Minuet player.not (25.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>

I have no qualms whatsoever about any of the options that are in the player, nor the ones that are not - I think you've made good decisions about what should go into a free player. And I think that overall, this is going to be a good move to give MidiNotate products some broad exposure. I'm planning to put a link for the download, along with a link to the forum on my SoundClick site as soon as you give the go-ahead, so folks can watch the notes as they listen to the music. Maybe they'll get as hooked as I am

ttfn,
Sherry