View Single Post
Old 05-07-2002, 04:08 AM
Steve K

Default I hope you will be as excited

I hope you will be as excited as I am about this. I can't even believe what I just did with this wonderful program!

I had an inspiration to arrange the beautiful Faure Pavanne as a piece featuring the bassoon, by taking the melodies from flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, and viola and playing them all on the bassoon. First I used MidiNotate to print those five parts on one score, naturally changing clefs and octaves to suit the bassoon. Next I printed this. Then I used a highlighter on the printout to mark what I was going to play from each part.

I envisioned a very complex process, wherein I would record a separate wave file for each part, put them back together with n-track, and silence each part where I was playing the bassoon. Then I realized I could use a midi sequencer to silence them selectively and create a new midi. Except I don't have a midi sequencer. I am waiting for MidiComposer.

But then I discovered I could do it all with MidiNotate, by just deleting from each line the notes I was going to play! It was easy, since these were just the notes I had highlighted from my MidiNotate printout. I brought the same parts up on the screen again, and breezed right through. It only took about half an hour, and I was ready with a very complex "Midi Minus One" version of this piece.

Quite easy to use Acoustica (also great software) make a wav file recording of MidiNotate's "performance," and I'm all set. Burn a CD any time to make it very portable. And, best of all, it's really beautiful! This is so satisfying. Thanks again, Mark!