View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Tim Fatchen (flyingtadpole)

Default Just an update. Another produ

Just an update. Another production library picked up a huge amount of my stuff after I wrote the preceding and then followed:

---The library told me VERY LOUDLY to do what I should have done long ago, join my local PRO (performing Rights organization). That meant:

---into the taxation maze, US/Australia tax treaties, the ATO/IRS, notarised copies of passports, form W-this and W-that, long discussions with our accountant etc. That meant...

---Become a business (well I already am, in dayjob, but become ANOTHER one) because in Australia if you are a member of the PRO, the taxation office immediately assumes you're about to squirrel squillions of hit record dollars away in the Maldives (I wish), doesn't matter that your actual music earnings have moved from one to two capuucino equivalents per week. And that means...

---I can claim expenses but not until either the music income passes level X and/or the dayjob drops below level Y. But the expenses can be accumulated against that wonderful day!

So THAT all means... I have contracts with production libraries. I have a brand new Australian Business Number! I have certificates on wall stating my membership of PROs etc!! I've had about 4 weeks of total derailment!!! And the music is earning zilch!!!! I've finally, formally, become a professional composer/musician!!!!!

Such is life ;) I'm still chuffed!

Tim

PS: Some of the library music is up on myspace still: