View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 03:40 PM
Sherry Crann (sherry)

Default Howdy, Mark said: If the s

Howdy,

Mark said:
If the scanning program does a good job identifying the notes, then MidiNotate will do a good job automatically formatting the score. Then, in MidiNotate, it is easy to manually add the music annotations (dynamic marks, phrase marks (slurs), accent marks, tempo marks, etc.). In fact, this might be the easiest, quickest way to copy printed sheet music into a notation program, since the scanning technology is fairly error-prone for some music annotations.

Sherry replies:
This is exactly the method that I use!

I have a really old hymnal that I wanted to do some arrangements from, and couldn't find any MIDIs for them on the internet. I happened across a special deal that Neuratron was running (apparently they occasionally do this on their website, but don't advertise or announce it) where they offered pretty much just the bare-bones scanner-conversion-to-midi package. It cost me $24.99, and it scans sheet music (or bmp files) and allows you to make corrections. The gui for the correction part is quite good, too. Then it exports a simple MIDI file, which I then open in Composer for excellent sheet music, as well as all the arranging things I can do. It is an excellent solution, and I've used it quite frequently in that capacity.

It's also nice if I have sheet music for a song that I'd like to do at church, but don't have the instrumentalists to perform it. I can scan it, save the midi, import that into Composer, and make an arrangement that I can record on to CD for accompaniment. This works well too

ttfn,
Sherry