View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Mark Walsen (markwa)

Default Hello Herbert,

Hello Herbert,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

The graphical display and adjustment of midi controllers over the notation, is for me and I think for many users, a most attractive feature in Composer. Velocity is singled out for special treatment. I can only guess what goes on in the background in respect to absolute and relative values for velocity. It works well. Along come GPO and JABB, not respecting our ways. Perhaps there should be another option, permitting all midi controllers to be adjusted as velocity is.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>At first glance, this seems to be a good recommendation. However, there's a basic difference between note velocities and controller data. A note velocity is associated with a single note; whereas a controller applies to all notes currently sounding on the same channel. In order to apply separate controller values individually to each note, each note has to be on a separate channel.

Composer's velocity vectors and MIDI graphs say the same thing as the above paragraph: Velocity vectors are drawn individually for each note. Controller graphs are drawn across the entire staff of notes, assuming that that staff is assigned to one never changing channel. Note, that last assumption will no longer be true in the next major version of Composer that better supports GPO.

Cheers
-- Mark