Thread: Flute sonata
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 03:27 PM
M G Jacobs (mgj32)

Default Hi David, Fred, I really do

Hi David, Fred,

I really don't I malign GM by saying it's not as good as other sounds available (with exceptions, like the horns, which are very good). There is criticism in saying that, but certainly no slander.

I was aware that graph over notes and the first controller shown could be used to add vibrato. I did not use it for two reasons. One is that the Hagi flute still has a much more realistic sound. The second is that I find it hard enough these days to concentrate on anything, that I want to spend that time working on something new, rather than fiddling with the midi sound of something already done.

Some folks like sound engineering. I don't. Even if I had lots of time to spend on it, I wouldn't. But given the range of controllers Composer lists (most of which I suspect take a keyboard to implement), those dropping jaws you mention, David, are not surprising to hear about. The guy who did GUGS started, I believe, with GM and many instruments came out much improved, so--yes--it seems one can do a great deal. But I still prefer, if I can find an instrument I like, to use it out of the box.

Fred, the GPO problem you have really loses me in the fog of expertise I don't have. Hopefully, Mark will be able to help.

all best,
mgj