Thread: MIDI Delay
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 12:32 PM

Location: Balderson, Ontario, Canada, 100 kms (60 miles) from Ottawa
Default Re: MIDI Delay

Hi, JH:

You say that the only choice for playback is the GM Wavetable instrument. There SHOULD be another option for the UNO device.

By the way, the Midisport UNO is a very good device -- I have one myself, although I don't use it on my main system. There should be a switch on it to set up a high-speed connection that might help a bit. You might try that, but it's not the root of the problem.

Back to playback options, I think you're getting delay because you're hearing the sound coming from the GM Wavetable device, which will have some inherent latency, but Microsoft doesn't let you use an alternative (ASIO) driver for it.

Go to Setup/Midi Device Configuration and see whether the UNO device appears in the list of installed devices. If it does, you should see something like "IN OUT External Port Midisport UNO 1" and immediately under it "IN OUT External Device Midisport UNO 1". (Or some variation on that.) If it's there, right click on the "External Device" entry and choose "Set as default playback device".

If it's not there, you need to go to the Port menu and choose "Select ports" and select the device from there. Use the Help System, under Midi Devices, to get you through that. Under Config/Select, there should be a "Newly detected configuration item". Choosing that will probably do the trick. But save it under a different name at once, so it doesn't get overwritten.

BUT, the UNO device ought to be there in the first place. Mark worked very hard to make Composer's device detection very robust.

Once the UNO port is installed and selected as the default playback device, MUTE the sound from your computer, turn UP the sound on your keyboard and click on the TEST item on the menu bar of the Configuration dialogue box. You should hear a scale of notes from your keyboard.

All of that to say that the problem seems to be that you're playing back through the Microsoft Wavetable device and not routing back to your keyboard. Nothing wrong with your MIDI adapter or your computer.

Hope this helps.

David