View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 05:31 AM
Senior User

Default Re: Symphony 1, II Love in the Ruins of Time

Hi Adrian,
Thanks for the listen. In Staff / Tranpose...instrument key, the double basses are set to sound an octave below written. Could it be that the setting doesn't carry over to different systems? If so, we may have discovered a bug.
You are absolutely correct that the double basses sound above the cellos on occasion, however. In these places I didn't want to give the DBs a note or two of the cellos' phrase. I suppose slurs (which I leave for last, since in most cases I don't have a sound font that will make them worthwhile) would make it clearer why the cellos sometime out bass the basses.
I once would have worried more about such matters. But the fellow who does Music in the Afternoon, on West Virginia Public Radio, seems to have a penchant for playing solo (with piano) pieces for the DB and tuba, both of which are surprisingly smooth at the top of their range. (WVUPubcast.org , starting at 1 PM EST).
I haven't got around to transposing the clarinet, horns or violas yet, either. I intend to, but once moved on to something else, I forget.
all best,
mgj