View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Product Manager

Location: Bad Axe, MI, USA (The Tip of the Thumb of Michigan)
Default Re: increase main volume level at play start

Howdy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDutchjewel View Post
In this particular file the main volume increases already at the first tick/beat of the score.

This file uses three controllers: volume, pan and expression. Changing the volume controller value only changes the channel volume level, not the main one. Erasing the expression line or changing the pan value doesn't effect the volume level.
The reason that I recommended checking the Expression controller is that sometimes various devices will have "custom" settings that map a particular controller to do something other than it's General MIDI standard function. For example, some devices will use one controller (eg. Mod wheel) to control loudness, while others use the same controller to add vibrato. I wasn't sure if your MIDI organ might be one such device that was mapping "Expression" to volume. Since you mentioned that the volume reading happens from the very beginning, then that rules out the Expression graph anyway.

Composer offers a lot of flexibility for editing each staff volume, but does not have a "conductor's volume" setting. This is the first time someone has asked about it I can understand where that would be very handy, if you're trying to work up files for a single device and you don't want to fiddle with a volume knob (or perhaps don't have one).

Using another MIDI tool that I have, I see that the file you attached here has a "conductor's volume" (ie main volume setting) of 96. This is a separate setting from each staff's individual volume setting. Do I understand correctly that this file causes your MIDI organ to "boom" out at a setting of 45 for your organ? If so, can you please attach an example file for one that keeps your setting at 20, and/or one that causes it to go to 1, so that I can compare them?

Thanks!
Sherry