Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Re.Midi commands (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=30271)

toktiny 04-05-2013 09:16 AM

Re.Midi commands

Hi there

I am wondering if it is possible to send a midi command to a Roland BK-7M for a change of program with Composer ?

Roland equipment requires a three part CC command, The Bank Select MSB, The Bank Select LSB and the Program Change (PC)

Many thanks

toktiny

Sherry C 04-05-2013 11:20 AM

Re: Re.Midi commands

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by toktiny (Post 62029)
I am wondering if it is possible to send a midi command to a Roland BK-7M for a change of program with Composer ?

Roland equipment requires a three part CC command, The Bank Select MSB, The Bank Select LSB and the Program Change (PC)

You can do this with both Notation Musician and Notation Composer.

The "Program change" refers to the instrument - you can select which instrument you want to use from the "instrument patch map" when you open Staff/Setup, or click any individual staff's Staff Setup button. Do keep in mind that for any device, the default instrument names are the GM (general MIDI) set of instrument names. Some devices (not sure if the

The bank numbers can be set also for each staff so you can access all the cool sounds you have there :) I see in the manual under "Tone list" that they give you all the info you'll need -
  • PC=instrument patch number (please note that they start with "0" and the grid we use starts with "1", so you'll need to add "1" to their patch numbers to get the right instrument).
  • CC 00 and CC 32 = the bank settings, which you'll find in Composer in the Staff/Setup dialog(s).

Enjoy!
Sherry

toktiny 04-05-2013 01:23 PM

Hi Sherry

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Perhaps I should have explained more fully what I am trying to do with my set-up. I understand what you have outlined in your mail where the composer can from each staff on a .NOT sheet decide what instruments are to be used etc. This is a wonderful function of Composer, however, what I am trying to do is a little more complicated.

I use Notation Composer to provide me with my own Fake Sheets which when I have written and/or edited them to my satisfaction I then convert them to PDF Music Sheets. I have to do this as I can then, using PC software, at the touch of a button display the relevant sheet that I require. Now I understand that if I used my original .NOT sheets I could use the options which you have described. I am afraid I can not go down this road as it would not suit my requirements.

The Roland BK-7M contains all its prepared songs in a USP file called “My Performances” and each song is an independent performance of its own.. It will not accept an internal midi file ( which I have tried ) to change from one song (Performance) to another, however , it will accept a midi change from an external source. If this was from a keyboard it would be a case of one button for each song !! this would not be feasible.

I realize that I was clasping at straws when I looked at the possibility of my Notation Composer to come to the rescue. I have scoured the net upside down to try and find a program, which as an external source will take a midi command and also will play a PC MIDI file. Perhaps Sherry if you feel that Notation Composer can not be used as an external midi source you might ,from your experience in this field , be able to suggest an alternative program tat is available ?

Again many thanks for the help which you provided.

Kind regards

Toni

Sherry C 04-05-2013 01:51 PM

Hi Toni,

Quote:

Originally Posted by toktiny (Post 62031)
I use Notation Composer to provide me with my own Fake Sheets which when I have written and/or edited them to my satisfaction I then convert them to PDF Music Sheets. I have to do this as I can then, using PC software, at the touch of a button display the relevant sheet that I require. Now I understand that if I used my original .NOT sheets I could use the options which you have described. I am afraid I can not go down this road as it would not suit my requirements.

Not sure of exactly your setup, but have you thought about using the Playlist option with Composer? You could have all your songs in a list that you can select from at need. Just a thought.

Quote:

The Roland BK-7M contains all its prepared songs in a USP file called “My Performances” and each song is an independent performance of its own.. It will not accept an internal midi file ( which I have tried ) to change from one song (Performance) to another, however , it will accept a midi change from an external source. If this was from a keyboard it would be a case of one button for each song !! this would not be feasible.

I realize that I was clasping at straws when I looked at the possibility of my Notation Composer to come to the rescue. I have scoured the net upside down to try and find a program, which as an external source will take a midi command and also will play a PC MIDI file. Perhaps Sherry if you feel that Notation Composer can not be used as an external midi source you might ,from your experience in this field , be able to suggest an alternative program that is available ?
You're correct that Notation Composer won't take a MIDI command (except when recording from a MIDI input device).

I'm still not quite clear on what needs to happen. I think my problem understanding the exact question revolves around the "Performance". From what I see in the user's manual for the unit (snagged it online), it looks like the Performance aspect is something that is saved on the unit, and is not controlled via a MIDI command - but perhaps I didn't dig deep enough to see what controller would be used for changing the Performance. It wouldn't be the Program change alone, which is the setting for a single instrument, but it may be related to bank changes, which could indeed change the "style" of a performance from a string quartet to a four-piece rock band.

Perhaps a bit more detail? Sorry for the density of brain matter here, but I don't have a Roland and so am not used to their specifics. If anyone else is more enlightened, please feel free to jump in!

ttfn,
Sherry

toktiny 04-05-2013 04:22 PM

Hi Sherry

Again many thanks for your reply.

I will try and answer your questions as best as I can:

1. I am afraid the Playlist Option would not suit the setup.

2. When you say that the that the Notation Composer won't TAKE a MIDI command what I am asking it to do is to GIVE one to the BK-7M without involving any sheets on the Composer.

3. You are perfectly correct when you say that the Performance aspect is something that is saved on the unit, and is not normally controlled via an internal MIDI command, however, it can be controlled by an MIDI command thegiven from an external source. I will explain this, I have a Roland A800Pro Midi Controller and if I allocate one of its buttons with the appropriate midi command to select a Performance (Sheet or Song) that is contained in the “My Performances “ UPS file in the BK-7m ,then that button when pressed will pass the command to the BK-7M and the selection will be made. This shows that what Roland says is correct that the command must come from an external source . by selecting this way you would need a few hundred buttons to select your Music Sheets which Ibam afraid is not practical.

4. The command in this case has nothing to do with instruments or styles but just recalling a Specific Performance Memory set up on a list in the BK-7M.

5. The BK-7M does not have an internal Hard Drive but all the data ,outside basics, are stored on USB Stick which is plugged into the back of the unit.

6. All Roland equipment from what I read are controlled by three CC commands which I have said previously; The Bank Select MSB, The Bank Select LSB and the Program Change (PC).
Now if I take one example of the command which I have to send to select one particular Music Sheet it would be ;

Recalling a Performance Memory from the loaded Performance List Via MIDI

Bank Select MSB
CC00 = 122 (This is a fixed value)

Bank Select LSB
CC32 = 00 (This could have a value from 0 to 7–Page Value)

Program Change (PC)
PC = 2 (This could have a value from 1 to 128 – Performance Memory Number )

In this example I would be calling Music Sheet No. Two on the List on Page One .

I can totally appreciate that without the hardware it can be most difficult to understand and I feel you have done fantastic in your assessments. I do hope that my modest explanations might be of some help.

Again my sincere thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Toni

Sherry C 04-05-2013 07:31 PM

Hi Toni,

Would something like the following be suitable?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keybo...ehringer-bcn44

ttfn,
Sherry

toktiny 04-06-2013 11:26 AM

Hi Sherry

My sincere thanks for you taking an interest in my problem. I do realise from your previous mail that my Notation Composer can not be used so you could have passed it off and advised me to look elsewhere, so for this I appreciate your help.

I downloaded the manual for the BCN44 and looked on the net for any further information. I would be using it as a Midi Merge and I came across the following report, which throws a little doubt as to its suitability;

“A point to note regarding using the BCN44 as a MIDI merge - the BCN44 is equipped with a MIDI in, for use primarily with a MIDI keyboard. The level of data traffic at the midi input should be relatively low. However - if the input device is a fully-fledged MIDI instrument - the level of data traffic is immense, and this can lead to blockages at the MIDI input buffer. In this application the BCN44 will not be adequate as a MIDI Merge function.”

I will have to be honest and say that my tech. knowledge of MIDI equipment is very limited as to compatability, manner of connection etc.etc.

I will look further into the suitability of this machine and come back and let you know how I get on. Again my thanks for your interest.

Kind regards

Toni

Sherry C 04-08-2013 11:32 AM

Hi Toni,

It might be worth asking on some of the Roland user forums that are around (I just googled "roland user forum" and came up with quite a few) if anyone else is doing what you want to do, and see how they're doing it.

If anyone is using a MIDI sequencer to do these changes, then there's quite possibly a way that we can get Notation Composer to do it for you :)

Good luck!
Sherry

toktiny 04-08-2013 04:06 PM

Hi Sherry

Many thanks for your reply.

I am a member of the Roland Arramger Group and The BK-7M Yahoo Group and
needless to say that they were my first port of call several weeks ago as
they are a great bunch of lads and lassies (like yourself !) who would be
only too willing to help if they could ,unfortunatly I have had no luck.. I
am afraid that I was clutching at straws for an answer when I contacted your
site as I just thought that Notation Composer might just have had some
facility which I overlooked.

I have not gven up on this yet and will let you know one way or the other in
due course. I should say at this point that Notation Composer is doing
exactly what I want it to do for me and I would be lost without it.

Again my sincere thanks for your interest.

Kind regards

Toni