Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Upgrade to Version 3 (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=32379)

driep01 05-23-2014 12:31 PM

Upgrade to Version 3

Hi,

I am currently on verion 2.6.3. When I run the "Upgrade" program it tells me that I am already on the latest version.

When I click the "Upgrade" in the email I received, it seems as if I have to purchase version 3 of the pruduct.

Is there no upgrade path from 2.6.3. to version 3?

Regards,

Phlip

Sherry C 05-23-2014 02:58 PM

Re: Upgrade to Version 3

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by driep01 (Post 65612)
I am currently on verion 2.6.3. When I run the "Upgrade" program it tells me that I am already on the latest version.

Thanks for letting us know about that issue using the "Update Composer" function from the Progam folder list. If you open Composer and use Help/Software update/Review Update, it will properly direct you to an update information page, with a link to visit the Upgrade Assistant.

Quote:

When I click the "Upgrade" in the email I received, it seems as if I have to purchase version 3 of the pruduct.
The bad link there was my fault - I apologize for the confusion there :o. The Upgrade Assistant can be found at www.notation.com/UpgradeOrder.php

Please let us know either here or at support@notation.com if you have any questions or problems.

ttfn,
Sherry

driep01 05-24-2014 09:25 AM

Hi Sherry,

I followed the steps as described in www.notation.com/UpgradeOrder.php.

After I have entered my email address, it shows me the correct license key and version of Notation composer.

However, I got the folling message at step three:
"STEP 3: Click on the Product that You Wish to Update or Upgrade to
The Notation Software products will be listed here after you complete STEP 2. "

It does not show me the product to upgrade or any link where I can get hold of version 3.

Regards,

Phlip

Sherry C 05-24-2014 11:49 AM

Hi,

Please contact us at the Helpdesk (support@notation.com) with more information about your registered email/address/order number, to help me find your purchase record (I don't recommend sharing that information here on the forum.) This should help us locate your record and figure out the problem.

Thanks!
Sherry

ngawor 05-24-2014 05:08 PM

Dear Sherry,
and Dr. Hoffmann, in case you are following here,

I have purchased Notation Composer 2.6.3 in 2013 for 82,93 EUR.

Since the announcement of the company's move to Germany I was curious about the future of this program.

On your web page you are offering an upgrade to version 3.0.1 for $ 79,99 ?

You will probably understand that regarding this sum I will continue to use my current version.

Anyway, thank you and all developers for this nice useful program,
and your support, including this forum.

Kind regards,
Norbert (from near Nuremberg)

Sherry C 05-27-2014 01:38 PM

Dear Norbert,

I apologize for taking so long to respond – this has been a holiday weekend in the USA, and I’ve been a bit preoccupied.

Thank you for your good words about Notation Composer, and we are so glad that you have found it to be useful for your musical pursuits. That is our main goal for our customers. I realize that that the price of an upgrade may seem like a little much given your previous purchase price.

I would like to briefly explain why the prices for version 3 were selected as such.
Notation Software offers the best notation transcription from MIDI files -better than any other product on the market. Neither the high end products nor any freeware products available can provide similar music sheet transcriptions like ours. Version 2 of the Notation Software product suite was launched in 2007 and continuously enhanced with new features. Customers could update over this long period of time, always for free. Those who purchased later in the product cycle of version 2 (like you) immediately benefited from those developments while not paying the equivalent of the significantly higher prices at the beginning of the product launch of version 2 in 2007.

After the passing of our founder, president, and CEO Mark Walsen (that full announcement is at http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3550 if you previously missed it) the shareholders of Notation Software, Inc. (the US company) looked for the best way for the company going forward in order to further support our customers from all over the world. At that point in time a significant development investment needed to be funded for the next business step. The US shareholders decided not to invest for that step because the key business and development driver (Mark Walsen) was not around anymore, and because the business did not justify the prices of software work in the neighbourhood of Microsoft in the Seattle area, US (very expensive). From the shareholders' perspective the best solution was that an existing customer of Notation Software, Inc. - Reinhold Hoffmann - should take over the risk and challenge to move the company forward. With a significant financial investment, the development of version 3 was started 2 years ago, even long before the announcement of the acquisition under German ownership was made.

As part of this acquisition a major cost restructuring also happened and was performed in parallel. The new company with its new shareholders decided to create a company setup which is long-term viable in order to continue the support of the terrific customer base all over the world. Serving all these customers is only possible with a financially viable company setup. Therefore, the current version 3 prices were agreed on by the new company’s shareholders to be (1) still significantly lower than those of the competition, (2) while also creating a new company setup which is financially long-term viable. This situation is best for all our interests.

I should also mention that for the features that Notation Composer has, our competition usually charges over twice the price for the initial purchase, and as much or more for upgrades. We really feel that we have still priced our software amiably both for our customers (to keep it affordable) and the company (to be able to continue development and support).

Furthermore, many thanks for your kind words on our forum. (I should also mention that the free-to-customers forum and the support desk both need to be funded from sold software licenses.)

So, the bottom line is that we are still working hard to provide the best quality software at an affordable price. In order to continue as a viable company, we do have to charge for the software because it does take time and effort to maintain it, support it, and continue to develop it to improve it even more.

I hope that the above history and explanation help you and others to understand the situation. Anyone can explore their options and pricing for an upgrade by visiting the Upgrade Assistant at www.notation.com/UpgradeOrder.php

Thanks again for your kind note, and we hope that you continue to enjoy making music with your Notation Software product.

All the best to you,
Sherry

ngawor 05-27-2014 09:44 PM

Dear Sherry,
thank you for your detailed reply.
Especially for the link to that old thread which let me discover some impressions of Mark's work.

And I agree, the pricing of Notation Composer is still justified.
I am a software developer myself (C++, Qt, Ruby...) and of course I want to get payed for my work, too.

I was even considering whether I could be of help in some way;
but I guess contributing code is easier with an open source project.

Yes I will continue to enjoy making music - usually with only a piano.
But to share my ideas I will definitely use Notation Composer to transcribe recordings to notation - and probably other software for the final layout.
(As long as there is no program which is equally good in all disciplines, the quality of MusicXML export and import is essential.)

Thanks again, and kind regards,
Norbert