Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Yamaha KX 49 & Composer problem (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3810)

thorben 08-28-2011 03:34 PM

Yamaha KX 49 & Composer problem

I have terrible latency problems when using my KX 49 with Composer, It works fine with Cubase.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Thorben

Sherry C 08-28-2011 05:32 PM

Re: Yamaha KX 49 & Composer problem

Hi Thorben,

It's probably an ASIO issue. The GS Wavetable interferes with ASIO routing. Please try the following:

1. In Notation Composer, go to Setup/MIDI Device Configuration (not the "quick" one)
2. Go to Port/Select Ports, and in the right hand panel, uncheck GS Wavetable. Click "Ok" to save the changes.

Now restart Composer/Musician. Hopefully the above steps will take care of the problem. If not, we'll need to dig a bit deeper.

ttfn,
Sherry

thorben 08-29-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 16136)
Hi Thorben,

It's probably an ASIO issue. The GS Wavetable interferes with ASIO routing. Please try the following:

1. In Notation Composer, go to Setup/MIDI Device Configuration (not the "quick" one)
2. Go to Port/Select Ports, and in the right hand panel, uncheck GS Wavetable. Click "Ok" to save the changes.

Now restart Composer/Musician. Hopefully the above steps will take care of the problem. If not, we'll need to dig a bit deeper.

ttfn,
Sherry

I tried that, but then I get no sound at all.

Regards
Thorben

Sherry C 08-29-2011 11:20 AM

Hi Thorben,

Do you typically use the KX 49 as your sound source? It sounds like (no pun intended) it's not set as the default MIDI Playback Device (yet!) :)

To set it as the playback device, (1) in Composer, go to Settings/MIDI Device Quick setup, and then (2) choose it from the drop list for MIDI Playback Device.

That should set your keyboard as the sound source, and avoid the GS Wavetable/ASIO issue.

ttfn,
Sherry

thorben 08-29-2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 16141)
Hi Thorben,

Do you typically use the KX 49 as your sound source? It sounds like (no pun intended) it's not set as the default MIDI Playback Device (yet!) :)

To set it as the playback device, (1) in Composer, go to Settings/MIDI Device Quick setup, and then (2) choose it from the drop list for MIDI Playback Device.

That should set your keyboard as the sound source, and avoid the GS Wavetable/ASIO issue.

ttfn,
Sherry

Dear Sherry,

The KX 49 is a "dumb" keyboard, it can only be used as input to Composer.

I'm using the Yamaha USB driver that came with the keyboard.

Regards
Thorben

Sherry C 08-29-2011 11:44 AM

Hi Thorben,

Ah, I use MIDI controllers, too, and so have to use a different "soft" device for my playback device.

What device do you use in Cubase? If it's a stand-alone synth (either an external unit or some sound library or such), then you should be able to use it as the MIDI Playback Device with Composer as well (eg. Roland VSC or such).

If you don't have one (I haven't used Cubase), then I can recommend SynthFont (www.synthfont.com) as an alternative to look at. You'd need to use a virtual MIDI cable, which you can find info about at this thread.

ttfn,
Sherry

thorben 08-29-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 16144)
Hi Thorben,

Ah, I use MIDI controllers, too, and so have to use a different "soft" device for my playback device.

What device do you use in Cubase? If it's a stand-alone synth (either an external unit or some sound library or such), then you should be able to use it as the MIDI Playback Device with Composer as well (eg. Roland VSC or such).

If you don't have one (I haven't used Cubase), then I can recommend SynthFont (www.synthfont.com) as an alternative to look at. You'd need to use a virtual MIDI cable, which you can find info about at this thread.

ttfn,
Sherry

Dear Sherry,

I installed SynthFonth, Maple MIDI and ASIO4All and now my KX 49 plays with very low latency. I tried to get Composer to play through Maple Midi, but I'm not sure how to set that up. At a stage I actually think I made a midi loop, because Composer hung and I had to kill it.

The problem I have now is that I cannot start Composer at all. I gives an error: "It has been detected that Composer was previously run on your system....." - I have tried to restart my PC, but Composer still won't start and I can't uninstall it either, so please HELP!!!!

Regards
Thorben

thorben 09-03-2011 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorben (Post 16146)
Dear Sherry,

I installed SynthFonth, Maple MIDI and ASIO4All and now my KX 49 plays with very low latency. I tried to get Composer to play through Maple Midi, but I'm not sure how to set that up. At a stage I actually think I made a midi loop, because Composer hung and I had to kill it.

The problem I have now is that I cannot start Composer at all. I gives an error: "It has been detected that Composer was previously run on your system....." - I have tried to restart my PC, but Composer still won't start and I can't uninstall it either, so please HELP!!!!

Regards
Thorben

Hi Sherry,

As you can see above, I can't use Musician anymore, any idea how to fix?

Regards
Thorben

Sherry C 09-03-2011 04:39 AM

Hi Thorben,

My apologies here - I had typed in a nice reply to your previous post, but apparently didn't properly post it after previewing it. My only excuse was that I was probably still "under the influence" of my pain medication as I had an arthroscopy on the 29th :)

What I had posted was that it appears that something really goofed up the installation. You can first try re-installing the program "on top" of the current installation. Hopefully that will fix it.

If it doesn't fix it, then you'll need to do a "manual uninstallation" if the usual "Windows/Control Panel/Install or remove software" option doesn't work.

1. Delete the \Program Files\Notation\Composer directory.

2. Run RegEdit and delete the Uninstall entry for Notation Musician:

(a) Run RegEdit from Windows Start / Run. (To run Regedit, click on the START button, then click Run. A dialog box will come up with a space to type in the name of a program. Type in "regedit" without the quotes. Click OK when you have typed it in, and the registry editor will open.)

(b) Use RegEdit's Edit / Find command and search for "Notation". You'll find many entries in the registry for Notation, doing "Find Next" by hitting F3. It's fine to delete any of them if you don't intend to run any Notation programs. However, there is one important registry entry to delete in steps (c) and (d).

(c) Keep hitting F3 (Find Next) for "Notation" until you find the entry for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall{3FA380...E6A63}, where the ... is a long bunch of numbers and letters. You see in the right window pane of RegEdit several entries with "Notation" in them. The important thing here is that you have found the Windows Registry Uninstall entry for Notation.

(d) Use RegEdit's Delete command to delete this Uninstall entry.

Now you will no longer see Notation Composer listed in Control Panel / Add-Remove programs.

At this point, you can reinstall the software, and all should (we hope) be well.

ttfn,
Sherry

thorben 09-03-2011 05:30 AM

Hi Sherry,

No need to excuse yourself, I'm happy that you will help.

I did a "manual" uninstall, after that I removed all references to notation in regedit and on the hard disk.

I rebooted, and did a new install, after another reboot I started Composer, but nothing happens on the screen. In task manager I can see that composer.exe is running.

Regards
Thorben

Sherry C 09-03-2011 03:53 PM

Hi Thorben,

This sounds like an issue that was taken care of in a maintenance release... can't remember how long ago. Sometimes the application would be minimized (for reasons we never figured out completely), and even on starting, would automatically minimize. This behavior should only occur with (1) older versions of Musician or Composer (the current version is 2.6.3) and (2) older OSs (operating systems) than Win 7. If you don't have the latest 2.6.3 version of Composer, you can visit the Redownload Page to have your download link emailed to you.

If you have an OS previous to Win 7, and the problem still occurs, take a look at the task bar along the bottom of your screen. Do you see the Composer icon in the task bar after you've started it? If so, then right-click it, and select "Maximise". That should bring Composer back up to full screen. (This trick works for any Windows application.)

Here's hoping...
Sherry

thorben 09-03-2011 04:09 PM

Hi Sherry,

I was installing 2.4.2, but when I installed 2.6.3 it worked like a charm.

Thank you so much for your help.

Now back to the original issue, how do I configure the Virtual Midi cables to work with Composer. The KX 49 works fine with Synthport and ASIO4All and I have installed Maple Midi, but I just can't work out how to set it up.

Kind regards
Thorben

thorben 09-03-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorben (Post 16171)
Hi Sherry,

I was installing 2.4.2, but when I installed 2.6.3 it worked like a charm.

Thank you so much for your help.

Now back to the original issue, how do I configure the Virtual Midi cables to work with Composer. The KX 49 works fine with Synthport and ASIO4All and I have installed Maple Midi, but I just can't work out how to set it up.

Kind regards
Thorben

I GOT IT WORKING.

Thanks for your help, it's now working without delay.

Regards
Thorben

Sherry C 09-03-2011 04:31 PM

Hi Thorben,

Glad we got the one problem solved!

For MIDI cables: You can kind of think of them in a similar fashion to physical cables, but with the caveat that each cable has to have a defined directionality. By that, I mean that each cable (eg. Maple 1) should be set only as an "In" or an "Out" for any given MIDI device. I'll use "Maple 1" as the example MIDI cable below.

To use SynthFont with Composer as a MIDI Playback Device, using "Maple 1" as the virtual MIDI cable to connect them:

Since you've already installed SynthFont and Maple MIDI, as well as Notation Composer, all that is left is to configure them.

Be sure that SynthFont is running before opening Composer. This assures that the connections will all be made correctly. (Sometimes it works ok to open it after, but sometimes not.)

In Composer:
1. Click on Setup/MIDI Device Configuration.
2. Then Port/Select Ports.
3. In the Left hand "Input ports", uncheck the Maple 1.
4. Click "Ok" to exit and save.

This step above effectively sets the "directionality" of the Maple 1 virtual cable to go Out from Composer, and In to SynthFont.

Now, in SynthFont:
1. Edit/Options
2. IO Ports, and click to select Maple 1 in the upper-left hand "Select MIDI Input ports" box.
3. Click "Ok" to save the selection.
4. Now click the "Activate MIDI Input" button on the tool bar.

Now when you play a song file in Notation Composer, it will use the soundfont that you have open in SynthFont to play the song. Likewise, if you play your keyboard, routed through Notation Composer, it will also use the soundfont in SynthFont.

The cool thing about soundfonts is that there are a boatload of really nice ones available free on the internet. We have an information page at http://www.notation.com/Articles-Soundfonts.htm that might be helpful in getting some really good instruments, as well as interesting pads and such, or even tutorials on how to create your own soundfonts :)

Hope this helps!
Sherry

Sherry C 09-03-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thorben (Post 16172)
I GOT IT WORKING.

Thanks for your help, it's now working without delay.

Great!

Sherry

mgj32 10-08-2011 06:49 AM

Hi Sherry,
I think I can do the configuration of Maple Midi, Synthfont and Composer as you describe it above.

My question is: where does my Audigy 2 ZS fit into the setup?

Synthfont is already set to play through the sound card. Would I have to change anything there? Or would that be a setting in Maple Midi?

I guess more than 16 channels couldn't be worked into the scheme of things, though Synthfont, if I am understanding correctly, uses only 16 channels and creates something like pseudo channels for the other 16. But I'll worry about that once I get setup to play through Synthfont.

all best,
mgj

Sherry C 10-08-2011 12:02 PM

Howdy MG,

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgj32 (Post 16292)
My question is: where does my Audigy 2 ZS fit into the setup?

You should be able to use it in conjunction with SynthFont to get your multiple channels :)

You would use the Audigy as one MIDI device, and SynthFont as the second device. Synthfont will use the audio "side" of the soundcard to produce sound as well. This should give you 16 channels per device (1-16), for a total of 32. At least it should work that way in theory :)

You would load whatever soundfonts you want to use for each device, and then in Composer, use Staff/Setup to select (1) the device AND (2) the channel for each staff. For example, for the 1st violins, you could use "Audigy / channel 2" and then for the timpani use "Maple 1 / channel 2". (I used the example "Maple 1" because the device name that shows up in Composer will be the "virtual MIDI cable" name rather than "Synthfont."

When you run this setup, be sure to start SynthFont first, and click the "Activate MIDI input" button. Then start Composer, and it should detect everything automatically.

Here's hoping :)
Sherry

mgj32 10-09-2011 05:03 AM

Hi Sherry,
Thanks. It sounds quite logical to use Audigy as one sound device and Synthfont as another. I wonder if it might get around the problem of the computer crashing when I try to use Audigy's synth A and B in the same way. For now I'll try the SF, Maple, Composer set up. After finishing the Christmas Symphony revision, which I am finding I intended more changes/additions than I had remembered, especially in the finale, I will do some experimenting, using Audigy synth A and Maple (or virtual midi cable) as the midi devices.

Alll through "The Search for Nelly Gray," I've been able to find instruments not playing when another is. For example, the piano and banjo never play together so their staves can share a channel. It works pretty well, but I've found it wise to do a sound change on each staff--that is, make both staves either piano or banjo. But of course there is a limit to how many instruments this method would work for, depending on the composition. So here's hoping your hope works out.

all best,
mgj

mgj32 01-16-2012 05:37 AM

Hi Sherry,
The 'Christmas' Symphony done and the Ned/Nelly aria nearly so, I have installed Maple Midi. I am going to need more than 16 channels, no matter how many sound changes I could do in the Sax/Violin Concerto (yes, that is started.)
When I open select port in Composer, on the left (Input ports) I find Maple Midi 1,2,3,4, and SB Audigy Midi IO.
On the right (Output ports) I find Mapel Midi 1,2,3,4, plus MS Wavetable, SB Audigy Midi IO, Audigy Synth A, and Audigy Synth B.
All the Maple Midi ports were checked, both sides, as was the SB Audigy Midi IO and Synth A.
I tested all and the scale plays for all the Maple ports AS LONG AS both sides are checked.
Before I continue, I am wondering what should be checked on each side and which not.
Synthfont IO Ports, on the left side, gives me the four Maple ports and SB Audigy 2 ZS IO. Apparently I can select 2 of them. I have checked Maple 1 and SB Audigy IO. Maple adds >slot 0..15, while SB Audigy IO adds >slot 16.. 32.
That is as far as I've got. I wonder if it is anywhere near correct.
all best,
mgj

Sherry C 01-16-2012 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi MG,

It sounds like your musical endeavors are really coming along! My apologies for the lag on getting back to you from Christmas as well as here. Suffice it to say things here have been busier than I'd like in some ways.

For the virtual cables, it's important to have them only going one direction from Composer as well as the device they're plugging into. For Notation Composer, your Ports (Setup/MIDI Device configuration/Ports/Select Ports) setup should look similar to the following:

Attachment 768

The reason being that if you have both "in" and "out" selected, you can get a feedback loop that can cause your computer to act like it's running on vacuum tubes (or wired to rocks). In other words, it can slow your computer to a painful crawl, so that you can't do anything. By making sure that each connection is only going in one direction, you avoid the possibility of the feedback loop.

After you do this, you'll see that change reflected in your MIDI Device Configuration as having the Maple MIDIs only show for "out" and not "in".

Hopefully that will get you going :) If not, just let me know.

ttfn,
Sherry

mgj32 02-02-2012 07:30 AM

Hi Sherry,
Your set up instructions and the graphics are very clear and look like they should work. But either I'm screwing up somewhere or the Audigy 2 ZS sound card isn't made for use with a virtual midi cable.
Where I am. In Synthfont input ports I have Maple Midi 1-4 listed as well as SB Audio 2 ZS IO (C880). I have checked Maple I for slots 0-15 and the SB Audigy... for slots 16-32.
In Composer on the left I have Maple 1-4 and SB Auidio 2 ZS Midi IO (C880). Nothing is checked for imput ports. On the right Maple 1-4, MS Wavetable, Audigy Synth A and Synth B and the Audigy MIDI IO. I have everything checked by the Audigy MIDI IO. I have also checked this on the right, unchecked MS Wavetable, Maple 2-4, but with no better results.
When I test playback only Synth A and B work. No sound from Maple 1. However if I check Maple 1 on the left, also, then the scale plays but with the green light flashing on both Maple 1 and Synth A.
Maple 1 produces no sound in Synthfont, either. If I load a midi file, select a chanel and select Mapel I for midi out, ia message pops up saying "could not open midi port." Then SF bank reverts to merlin creative and it begins to play.

I hope you can point me to something to try. In the meantime, the Sax/Violin Concerto well started, will accumulate a whole lot of sound changes.

All best,
mgj

I noticed that Maple is listed in Composer as an External Device, but if I click the properties of Maple 1, there it is, listed as a Mini Output Device, with the sound font banks listed, just as in the sound card's SF bank manager and Composer, and as the default in Synthfont.

The only thing I can think of to try is to configure New External Device, with the same check (midi output device) as is already in properties, then add the same banks as are there. Since Composer already recognizes it under properties, that doesn't sound necessary.

Sherry C 02-02-2012 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi MG,

Your Audigy sound card has the Synth A and Synth B already on it - there's no need for the Maple MIDI for that. The Maple "cable" should go to SynthFont, which should give you a total of 48(!) instruments available - 16 on each Synth. (One limitation you may run into is the amount of memory that you have on the machine. I recall that when I was using my SB Audigy card, I had to designate a certain amount of memory per Synth (it also had 2), and that if I didn't have enough, it wouldn't function properly. )

After you have the ports set up as I illustrated in the picture, it should be just a matter of when you use the Staff Setup button for any of your staves, you select (1) the Device and (2) the Instrument patch you want to use for the staff.

When you use the Instrument Patch list to select which instrument you want to use, bear in mind that the default list is for the General MIDI (GM) set of instruments. Therefore if the soundfonts that you have loaded on Synth A and Synth B are different than a GM set of instruments, you may want to edit the list to reflect the specific instruments that are on the Synth A and Synth B for each specific instrument patch number. Likewise with the font(s) that you have in SynthFont. You can do this in Composer by doing the following in Setup/MIDI Devices Configuration (the big one):

Attachment 770

Then back up the configuration! You don't want to lose all that typing :)

I guess it's time to do some serious research into how to get an .ins (instrument definition file) from a soundfont :) That would make it much easier as you could just import the .ins into the MIDI device description, rather than type the names into the patch map. Does anyone reading this know of a utility that will create a .ins file from a soundfont?

ttfn,
Sherry

mgj32 02-03-2012 08:27 AM

Hi Sherry,
Woe increases along with entropy. Maybe trying to solve a problem with Composer might help.
Using 'add bank' Synth A and B (and Maple 1, too, now) show these banks: Merlin Creative Ed.sf2 / MC Bank 1 / Mc Bank 2 / MC Bank 3 / MC bank 4. These four banks have instruments from other sound font banks, added with SF Librarian. And also General Midi is there. I have made Merlin Creative Ed.sf2 the default bank for the 2 Synths and Maple 1.

The problem is that although I might specify the ZFS Clarinet in MC Bank 3, patch 72 (if I recall correctly), and have all staves set for Merlin Creative Ed.sf2, the clarinet reverts to the GM one. When I open staff setup or use the icon on the left, general midi is listed as the bank.

I tried just typing in the name of Timp and Cymbals, which I have patch 120 set to in Merlin Creative Ed.sf2 into the same slot in GM, and I got one of the drum banks.

I am afraid to try this, but what would be the result of marking General Midi, then using copy from another bank (Merlin Creative Ed.sf2) and copying Synth A's patches and names? Alternatively, is it possible to just get General Midi out of the list of banks? The numbers of the two are almost the same, something like (000.000d) with an asterisk next to the Merlin bank.

If I knew where to find the GM bank Composer is using, I could perhaps, also, open it and Merlin in Sound font Librarian, to delete each GM patch and drag the Merlin one over, then add the other 4 banks to General midi.

In any case I'd have to save the "new" General midi to a location where I could get at it from Synthfont, too.

The easiest thing, now that the synths, Maple 1, and Synthfont all have Merlin Creative Ed.sf2, would be deleting General Midi, leaving only Merlin CE.sf2 and it's four extra banks. But I'm afraid to try that, mostly because Composer wants to revert to it, as earlier versions didn't. If I set up a staff with Bank 3, clicked on ZFS clarinet, that's what would play.

I have the input and outports set up as you illustrate above. Synthfont does play as I work in Composer.

Feeling really dumber by the day.

All best,
mgj

Sherry C 02-03-2012 08:32 PM

Hi MG,

Being that "a picture is worth a thousand words" therefore "a video must be worth at least ten thousand" ;) I'll try to get a video put together showing the process for entering the patch names (it's not the best process right now, and is on the "make it better" list for future development). There is an illustrated written description in the Users Guide, and use the Index to look up "patch" and choose the "patch names for device" subtopic. Hopefully this will shed some light on the subject til I can get the video done ("family emergency" events here have delayed my video making sessions by weeks).

However, in the meantime, to try and "force" the instrument to be what you want, please make sure that the GS Wavetable is turned "off". You can do that in the Setup/MIDI Device configuration/Ports/Select Ports, and uncheck it in the right hand panel (see my screenshot of the Ports settings below).

ttfn,
Sherry

mgj32 02-03-2012 11:27 PM

Hi Sherry,
Sorry to hear about the emergencies. I hope they pass and all is well.

I'll be quick.
1. I found that for the 4 banks added to Merlin Creative, if I click through the banks and find the instrument I'm looking for, say it's a piccolo, bank 4, patch 73, if a put a 4 in ctrl 0 and 73 ub ctrk 32, the Bank four names disappear, 73 is hilighted, and I get the instrument.

2. If I knew the ctrl 0 numbers for GM and Merlin, I suppose I could do the same there. I assume Composer uses one of those GM files in Win\Sys 32, and loading one in SF Library might show the answer to what might go into ctrl 0.

3. To get 48 channels, wouldn't I have to be able to use Maple Midi in Composer so that it would translate to Synthfont? The only way to do so appears to be to set Maple 1,2,3, or 4 as both input and output. (If I load a midi file into SF, btw, and choose it for output, a popup says the device can't be opened, though it is listed.

I've done the suggest reading, again, and everything related to "patch" in the manual. Maybe I'm beginning to understand it a bit.

all best,
mgj

Sherry C 02-04-2012 03:36 AM

Hi MG,

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgj32 (Post 16637)
Sorry to hear about the emergencies. I hope they pass and all is well.

They are now settled, and the outcomes were better than anticipated. For that, we are extremely thankful!

Quote:

1. I found that for the 4 banks added to Merlin Creative, if I click through the banks and find the instrument I'm looking for, say it's a piccolo, bank 4, patch 73, if a put a 4 in ctrl 0 and 73 ub ctrk 32, the Bank four names disappear, 73 is hilighted, and I get the instrument.
Bingo :) Matching Bank and Instrument Patch number is the bare necessity - having the correct instrument name in the field is helpful, but not necessary to getting the right sound.

Quote:

2. If I knew the ctrl 0 numbers for GM and Merlin, I suppose I could do the same there. I assume Composer uses one of those GM files in Win\Sys 32, and loading one in SF Library might show the answer to what might go into ctrl 0.
Yes. The default MIDI device is the GS Wavetable, which uses the GM Standard instrument patch map. One thing to note: some devices start with instrument patch 0 and go to 127, while others start with 1 and go to 128. Notation Software uses the convention 1-128, so check and enter your patch numbers accordingly. (eg. if your MIDI device uses 0-127, then you'll need to offset the number by 1 to make sure they match correctly in Composer.)

Quote:

3. To get 48 channels, wouldn't I have to be able to use Maple Midi in Composer so that it would translate to Synthfont? The only way to do so appears to be to set Maple 1,2,3, or 4 as both input and output. (If I load a midi file into SF, btw, and choose it for output, a popup says the device can't be opened, though it is listed.
To get the 48 channels that I was alluding to would be to use your Audigy Synth A as one device (16 channels there), Synth B as a second device (16 more channels there) and then Maple 1 to SynthFont (16 more channels there). You can use the same channel number (eg. 2) to two different devices for two different instruments (there is currently a bug in Composer which will show the channel number in yellow as if it is sharing a channel with the same number, even when they are assigned to two different devices - don't let that throw you off.)

Only set the Maple cables to "Out" in Composer, not as "In"s - otherwise you'll get a feedback loop going that will slow your computer to a painful crawl that you may have to shutdown the computer to get out of.

Actually you'll only need one cable (eg. Maple 1) to go out to Synthfont, where you can use 16 channels and even assign different fonts to each channel (this is done within SynthFont). You'll still need to select the correct Instrument Patch number in Composer's Staff Setup.

For example, say you have just two instruments, Guitar and Flute, in your composition. You want to use SynthFont, and you want to use a Ramirez Classical Guitar soundfont for the first instrument (the patch number is 25), and the Haggia Flute soundfont for the second one (with its patch number of 74). It might look like this:

In Composer:
Guitar/Staff 1 - Maple 1 - Channel 1 - Instrument patch 25
Flute/Staff 2 - Maple 1 - Channel 2 - Instrument patch 74

In SynthFont:
Channel 1 - Ramirez Classical Guitar (you don't have to set the instrument patch number because that's already being transmitted from Composer)
Channel 2 - Haggia Flute (ditto)

You're using the same cable - Maple 1 - for both instrument staves to go from Composer to SynthFont. Composer tells Synthfont which instrument patches get played on each channel, and in Synthfont you just have to pick which soundfont goes with each channel.

Alternatively, you could use a guitar font that is already loaded in Synth A and has the instrument at patch 25, and then use the Haggia flute which is in SynthFont:

In Composer:
Guitar/Staff 1 - Synth A - Channel 1 - Instrument patch 25
Flute/Staff 2 - Maple 1 - Channel 2 - Instrument patch 74

Hopefully the above is helpful :o

ttfn,
Sherry

mgj32 02-04-2012 08:55 AM

Hi Sherry,
I think I've got it!!!! Played in Synthfont and made changes and added a couple of measures and SF picked them all up. First time SF displayed a midi file of 32 channels, listing the instruments from Composer (only strings missing?). Hope it does it again next time. Changes I made were only to set SF for the 1-128 patches. Guess I'll have to learn SF now, like how to make a recording, save the arrangement, etc.

Many thanks, and glad things are working out well.

all best,
mgj