Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   bWish listb with GPO interface (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2108)

Clyde (clyde) 07-09-2005 01:49 PM

Hi Mark, I note your expr

Hi Mark,

I note your expression of support and enthusiasm for the GPO. But I also recognise that Composer is much more than a 'front-end' to GPO.

Having said that, I wonder if life would not be simpler if some additional features that may be useful for interfacing with GPO may also be useful with other systems as well.

So I opened this thread as a 'wish list'. And it is just that - ' a wish list' as most of the things we already have workarounds.

My 'wish list' starts with two requests:

(a) In the midi setup, for each device include a latency factor so where you have several different devices being driven by Composer, it is possible to line them all up.

For me this problem comes where I use my normal sound card percussions, as GPO does not have the required drums etc for jazz bands.

(b) Currently it is necessary to have one instrument a track to drive GPO. The channel indicates the instrument on the Player. Would it be possible to within Composer to allow for 'GPO' type channel change when an instrument changes, so as to avoid the need to have separate staves.

(I recognise that true orchestral scoring has separate staves for each instrument, and hence there is some logical to the way GPO forces this).

Cheers ... Clyde

Mark Walsen (markwa) 07-09-2005 05:57 PM

Hello Clyde, Your two wishe

Hello Clyde,

Your two wishes have already been fulfilled.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

(a) In the midi setup, for each device include a latency factor so where you have several different devices being driven by Composer, it is possible to line them all up.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>MidiNotate has already supported this for many years. In the Setup / MIDI Device Configuration, select the output device, and set the Anticipate Delay (in milliseconds) property. If you assign different tracks to different devices with different delays, Composer will correctly synchronize the delays of the tracks during playback.

There's one important catch though: If any device has a delay, you won't be able to record from your keyboard in accompaniment with the playback. The reason for this is that science has not learned how to travel backwards in time.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

(b) Currently it is necessary to have one instrument a track to drive GPO. The channel indicates the instrument on the Player. Would it be possible to within Composer to allow for 'GPO' type channel change when an instrument changes, so as to avoid the need to have separate staves.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Composer Pro already has Keyswitch (KS) events, that change the GPO instrument sound via special pitch triggers. Also, Composer Pro already has channel change events which change the channel assignment of a track mid-stream. This allows to you select a different GPO sound (in a different GPO Player slot position = MIDI channel) in the middle of a track.

The Keyswitch KS support is described in the GPO tutorial I wrote. It just occurred to me that I forgot to describe the mid-track channel change support.

Cheers
-- Mark

Clyde (clyde) 07-10-2005 12:54 AM

Hi Mark, Thanks for alre

Hi Mark,

Thanks for already anticipating and providing the things on my 'wish list'.

The latency configuration is certainly there. I simply missed that when looking the other day.

In regard to Composer Pro, I had tried to use it the other day, but I still get that serious error at startup. Tried to reload it, but got blocked as the 30 days trial had expired. So I stayed with normal Composer. I remember reading about the Keyswitches.

with thanks ... Clyde