Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Changing tied notes to dotted notes (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2993)

Sherry C 01-13-2010 09:19 PM

Changing tied notes to dotted notes

Howdy,

There is a small but annoying bug (which we're working to fix) that sometimes causes a note that you want to enter as a dotted note to show up on the score as a tied note. They are functionally equivalent, but the ties are "messier".

The workaround is simple, but perhaps not obvious. I've finally gotten around to making a short video clip of this workaround that you can download and watch (it's much clearer than trying to post it in a small box here). I hope you find it helpful.

ttfn,
Sherry

Kengun 03-28-2010 11:55 PM

Re: Changing tied notes to dotted notes

Wow this was very useful. Agree with you that lots of tied notes looks "messier". I have tried a long time to make the notes to show up as dotted notes instead of tied, but could not figure it out until you now showed me. Thanks a lot! - Regards Kenneth

rrayner 04-12-2010 11:41 PM

Hi Sherry -- I tried to take a look at this. The Quicktime file downloaded, but it was too big for my screen and it didn't appear to be active. Clicking the green play button did nothing. The full screen/restore screen didn't work either. At least the File/Exit button worked. Is the video any more than the "ct" trick you taught me to "close ties"? One of the frustrating notation ideosyncrasies I have is when I have multiple voices in one measure and one voice is a whole note and the other is two half notes, the whole note gets broken apart into two tied half notes. This makes the notation harder to read. I was looking at this posting to see if it had an answer for what I'm describing. Ralph

Sherry C 04-12-2010 11:56 PM

Hi Ralph,

The video is an mp4, which should open in Windows Media Player, except it sounds like QuickTime has taken over your media associations. You should be able to open WMP and then open the video from there. It is indeed the "select and collapse ties" trick. The upcoming release does not have the annoying behavior of always splitting dotted notes to tied notes.

ttfn,
Sherry

rrayner 04-13-2010 01:12 PM

Hi Sherry,

I changed my File Type association for .mp4 from Quicktime to Windows Media Player and I still can't play this video. WMP first tells me:

The selected file has an extension (.mp4) that is not recognized by Windows Media Player, but the Player may still be able to play it. Because the extension is unknown by the Player, you should be sure that the file comes from a trustworthy source.

When I tell WMP to try it anyway, WMP first tells me:

Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

No biggie, as you've taught me the trick. Just wanted to let you know that my XP SP3 system can't handle it.

Ralph

Sherry C 04-13-2010 01:23 PM

Hi Ralph,

Which version of WMP are you using? I'm using WMP 12, and it works with that.

ttfn,
Sherry

rrayner 04-13-2010 01:39 PM

Hi Sherry,

My WMP is at 11.0.5721.5268. I thought I was set up so that Microsoft kept me up-to-date on WMP. As this was/is automatic for me, I don't know how to force an update. But you created this file quite a while ago -- I would think long before WMP 12 came out, so I wouldn't think WMP 11 would be a problem. Perhaps there's more under the covers and my change of one file type association was only part of the problem.

Ralph

adrianallan 04-13-2010 01:47 PM

It didn't work for my WMP player either, version 11.

But it does work on realplayer if you right click and download it from there.

By the way, Quicktime does have an annoying habit of taking over all associations, so I'm forever uninstalling it

(eg it plays midi files instead of Notation composer even when NC is set as the association in the Control Panel).

Sherry C 04-13-2010 02:31 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tip on using Realplayer Adrian. I'm sure that others will find that helpful, too.

Yes, QuickTime does have the unfortunate habit of "usurp all" when it comes to file associations. There is a setting inside Quicktime that is labeled something quite vague, such as "Open files in browser" or "Open media files in browser", which essentially means that Quicktime will take over any media file that you click on while browsing, ignoring any other settings either in Windows File Associations or in your browser preferences. I forget exactly where it's at. If I recall correctly, it's under something like Tools or Preferences, Internet settings, or something similar. The "desktop" version is just as bad, and I was never able to figure out how to override the associations in that. I don't have it installed on my machine at all for that very reason. Highly annoying.

Perhaps someone already knows the specific steps to override QT's settings in the current version. I had figured out the above some years ago, and dislike QT enough that I haven't installed it again since I uninstalled it after that. Perhaps I should install it long enough to figure out how to disable it :)

ttfn,
Sherry

joearner 01-27-2011 06:01 AM

Just new here but trying to find if the option is there in notation composer to add bachground sounds that will run continuoussly to the end of the music and automatically adjust to the volume of existing music.

Sounds like a lot but anythings possible these days.

Thanks,

Joe