Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Share Your Music (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Some blues to celebrate V20 (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=1857)

David Jacklin (dj) 12-20-2006 12:59 PM

After many attempts and many h

After many attempts and many hours on line downloading, I finally managed to get Version 2.0 at about 1:30 a.m. last night!

It being that late, there was not sense in going to bed, so I started playing with it and came up with this.

As we are "moving on" from Version 1 to Version 2, this blues is called "I'm Movin' On".

It's a bit of a nod to BB King, I guess. And pretty rough and ready.

Congrats, Mark.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons...hment_icon.gifI'm Movin' On blues
Movin' On.not (374.3 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Fred Winterling (harbor1) 12-20-2006 01:25 PM

Hi David, Oh yeah!...That&#

Hi David,

Oh yeah!...That's definitely BB King. And, I think BB invented the key of E Minor. Nice organ solo! You've got your stuff together, man. Maybe Mark should consider using your song as the theme song for V2.
I wish I could write lyrics. Do you think of the words as you are playing or do you put the song down first and then write the words? I get the feeling you are singing the words along with your playing. Nice work!

Three Cheers,
Fred

Mark Walsen (markwa) 12-20-2006 03:41 PM

Hey David, You cooked up I&

Hey David,

You cooked up I'm Movin' On in one session in one night?! Good job! Your keyboard fingers and hand on the yoke did a great job simulating the lead guitar. And your organ technique comes straight out of a golden era for organs-- not to minimize Baroque.

Cheers
-- Mark

David Jacklin (dj) 12-21-2006 12:01 PM

Thank you, gents. I spend s

Thank you, gents.

I spend so much time "composing" that I sometimes forget to sit down (or, in this case, stand up) and just play.

Fred: E minor fits so well on the fretboard that it's a "natural" guitar key. When you do imitative synthesis, a large part of the trick is to play the notes that are natural for the instrument being imitated. As for lyrics, in this case, the melody and lyrics were the last things I did. I usually start with a lyric and melody, but this was a noodle -- I really didn't know where it was going or even if it was going anywhere.

Mark: I actually had the electric piano part, or about 32 bars of it, already on file. I just didn't have any idea of what it was for. The rest came together by about 4 a.m. Something I learned from watching Jan Hammer, many years ago, is that the secret to guitar-like bends and vibrato is to ignore the mod wheel, crank your left hand at 90 degrees to the pitch wheel, use your middle finger on the pitch wheel with index and ring fingers as stiffeners and wail on it. And then think "inside the box" for your notes: guitarists play in "boxes" up and down the strings, 2 and 3 frets per string in each key.

Of course, both of you guys probably already know all that.

Organ technique: last night, my wife and I went to the local high school for a fund-raiser concert for the stage band that both our kids are in (son plays tenor sax; daughter plays flute). The school has recently been given a Wurlitzer console organ and my son was asked to play the inaugural concert on it. He chose Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Rondo and finished by standing the console (about 50 pounds heavier than he is) on one corner and pitch-bending with his toe (swell pedal bender) as he held a cord and rocked the organ back and forth. Oh, yes: huge glisses and smears and all. The audience went nuts. My son's band, Freshly Squeezed (don't ask), played a number of pieces, then backed up a vocal ensemble that my daughter sings with in a beautiful rendition of Sting's Fragile as a tribute to Canadian troops in Afghanistan.

And, not to leave her out, my wife just finished playing Scrooge (believe it or not) in a very funny Dickens take-off that my theatre company staged.

We need a restful Christmas!

David

Fred Winterling (harbor1) 12-21-2006 02:23 PM

Hi David, quote: My son&#

Hi David,

quote:
My son's
band, Freshly Squeezed (don't ask), played a number of pieces

Tell your son I love the name of his band. It reminds me of something we did many years ago (1960's)to arrive at a new name for our band. He may appreciate this.
We asked our fans at our home club to help us name the band. We set out two boxes, one for adjectives and one for nouns and asked those on the left side of the club to write down on paper an adjective and put into the box, and those on the right side to write down any noun and put it into that box. I think there was a total of about 150 words. We then blindly picked one adjective and one noun and that would be the name of the band. We came up with "Chocolate Elevator". I guess it could have been worsehttp://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif

Cheers,
Fred