Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Minimizing chord complexity (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=4387)

chesterkins 06-28-2012 04:32 PM

Minimizing chord complexity

Hi, I am trying to produce music from Midis, but with simple chord changes i.e going from a C to Am for F& without a seemingly slient Cmaj7 in between
Is it possible to keep the music and chords simple?

Sherry C 06-29-2012 02:04 PM

Re: Minimizing chord complexity

Hi,

I think you're referring to the chord names that the software transcribes for you from the MIDI file. There are a few different things you can do:
1. Try selecting different staves to include in the chord name analysis. Sometimes a particular instrument might add a lot of "busy" notes, but not really contribute to the foundational chord structure so much.

2. Try selecting a different "Style" when doing the chord analysis such as "Easy", which uses the most basic chord types.

3. After doing the chord name analysis, you can directly edit any of the chord names by double-clicking it and changing it to something simpler that sounds good to your ear (eg. C6 to C)
Enjoy!
Sherry

chesterkins 06-29-2012 08:28 PM

HI Sherry
Thanks for the tips,
You have understood my problem I just want the most basic chord changes so I will use the 'Easy' style
but can you explain a little more playing around with the different staves
You are right I don't want a busy score with seemingly a new chord for every note
Thanks
Chris

Sherry C 06-29-2012 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesterkins (Post 17594)
but can you explain a little more playing around with the different staves
You are right I don't want a busy score with seemingly a new chord for every note

In the Chord Name transcription dialog, you can select or unselect which staves are used in the chord name analysis. For example, if you have a file that has a lot of staves, you may want to try selecting fewer instruments to include in the chord analysis (sometimes it's even good to go very basic with only two instruments, eg. bass and piano or such as that). To select or unselect a staff, just click it in the list.

Attachment 798

This can help you get "cleaner" chords if you want, or conversely you can use a lot of staves in the analysis if you're really into getting a more detailed analysis.

Enjoy!
Sherry

chesterkins 06-30-2012 03:07 PM

Thanks Sherry, Will give it a goo with a few songs this weekend...it always seems easier with midis containing lyrics for some reason
Chris