Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MidiNotate Composer 11 Beta Release 4 (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2245)

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-10-2005 03:58 AM

The fourth beta release of Com

The fourth beta release of Composer version 1.1 is now available at www.notation.com/ComposerBetaRelease.htm

There were too many changes between beta release #3 and #4 for it to be safe for me to release the final version of Composer 1.1 without letting you all have a chance to try it out.

Here is a list of the bugs and enhancements in beta release #4:
  1. Playback: Sometimes playback would happen in bursts if the song had a mixture of tempo changes and repeats. The green playback position arrow was displayed in the wrong vertical position if the page was scrolled down
  2. Play/mute: New option. While holding down the SHIFT key, click any play/mute staff control button to turn on playback for all staves, and to turn off solo for all staves.
  3. Save As MIDI File: The tempo was incorrectly saved in the MIDI file. The order of staves was sometimes changed in the saved MIDI file. There is now a warning if the maximum of 16 channels in a MIDI file is exceeded
  4. Copy/paste: If a region that does not start at the beginning of a measure is copied to the clipboard and then pasted somewhere, the clef and key signature of the first destination measure was incorrectly changed to treble clef and no sharps or flats.

Cheers
-- Mark

M G Jacobs (mgj32) 08-10-2005 09:44 AM

Hi, I downloaded the patch

Hi,

I downloaded the patch for v. 4, but when I tried installation, a message said that the file size was unexpected, so the version currently installed was either corrupt or already patched. The current version was 1.1 beta release 3. I had installed the full 11MB + version of this.

So I downloaded the full version. That installed all right.

A bit of a problem with the play/mute option, which I agree is very useful. After soloing several instruments (tried it also with just one), then shift-clicking a play button, all of the ensemble does not play, though the buttons light up, until I click a solo button twice (any one of them seems to work).

best,
mgj

Clyde (clyde) 08-10-2005 11:39 AM

Hi Mark, Since you have r

Hi Mark,

Since you have released the last few Beta versions of Composer, the size of the font on load of a not file has been huge. I saw someone else had reported this, and so did not comment as you acknowledge the problem.

The problem is stil in the latest Beta 4 version, but this time it is worse. After shrinking it down to a reasonable size, the 'Page' view is totally incorrect.

See the screen dumps in the PDF files:

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons/mime_pdf.gifPDF
page-1.pdf (93.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>
<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons/mime_midi.gifnot
Backing-John_14_6.mid (36.3 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Also of concern, is that despite the fact that these Beta versions are in a different directory to my 1.09 version, the 1.09v font size on load has been also affected in a similiar way.
Previously the effect on version 1.09 was tolerable because shrinking down the score did not distort the 'page' view. But now, even on v1.09 the 'page' view is distorted as well.

What this means is that I can't use Composer v1.09 or v1.1 Beta 4. So I'm stuck, as I cannot adjust the page view.

Perhaps you should warn others about this possibility of being undable to use any of their version of composer if they down load this beta version.

Clyde

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-10-2005 06:24 PM

Hello M.G.,

Hello M.G.,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

A bit of a problem with the play/mute option, which I agree is very useful. After soloing several instruments (tried it also with just one), then shift-clicking a play button, all of the ensemble does not play, though the buttons light up, until I click a solo button twice (any one of them seems to work).<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>I am able to reproduce this problem, and will fix it in the final release of Composer 1.1. Thanks for reporting this!

Downloaded the patch for v. 4, but when I tried installation, a message said that the file size was unexpected, so the version currently installed was either corrupt or already patched.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>I have tested the version 1.1 beta #3 to #4 patch, and it worked fine. Maybe you had beta #2 or #1 installed?

Cheers
-- Mark

M G Jacobs (mgj32) 08-10-2005 06:47 PM

Good afternoon Mark, \quote

Good afternoon Mark,

\quote I have tested the version 1.1 beta #3 to #4 patch, and it worked fine. Maybe you had beta #2 or #1 installed?

Hmmm. No I opened the beta and looked at the spash screen that comes up; it was 1.1 beta release #3.

Release #1 is installed full, of course.
I used the patch for #2.
#3 I installed the full version.
#4 . . . well you know.

I wonder if I should start over. Save .not files I've worked on to another directory, un-install the beta, and then install the full #4 again.

Willing to do it IF you can tell me how to uninstall just the beta and not also 1.09. There is only one MN Composer listed in add/remove programs.

If the patch failure to install message was true, there is perhaps something corrupt in my installation???? However, it seems to work fine.

best,
mgj

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-10-2005 06:56 PM

Hello Clyde, Your report ha

Hello Clyde,

Your report has revealed a mistake I made in building a bridge from Composer 1.0.9 to 1.1. Once you install Composer 1.1, the font sizes in Composer 1.0.x will become very large, as you have reported.

The mistake is in the Windows registry. You can fix this so that you can continue working either in Composer 1.0.9 or 1.1, but you'll then have to commit to using just 1.0.9 or 1.1, without going back and forth, until I fix this problem.

Using Regedit, visit these registry entries: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MidiNotate\Composer\Fon ts

There will be a "(Default)" entry, and 18 other entries named "Type0" through "Type17". Ignore the "(Default)", "Type16" and "Type17" entries.

The entries "Type0" through "Type15" have values that are four pieces of text or numbers, separated by commas, as in:

Times New Roman,100,400,0
and
default,0,700,0

The second number among the four values is the point size for some type of text, such as lyrics, chord names, free text, etc. In Composer 1.0.x, this number is a point size such as 8, 9, 10, or 12. In Composer 1.1, this number is 10 times the point size, such as 80, 90, 100, or 120. This gives us one decimal point of accuracy for point sizes starting in Composer 1.1.

If you want to go back to 1.0.9 for now, then edit any of these entries that has a second value more than about 40. Divide that value by 10. For example, change

Times New Roman,100,400,0

to

Times New Roman,10,400,0

Also, if you go back to Composer 1.0.9, then _delete_ this value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MidiNotate\Composer\Set up Options\PointSizesAreIn10ths

If you want to go the other direction, then multiply the point sizes by 10 so that they are in the range 60 to, say, 240 rather than 6 to 24. And also add a registry entry for PointSizesAreIn10ths with a DWORD value of 1 under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MidiNotate\Composer\Set up Options

Sorry for this mistake. I'll fix this so that users can go back and forth between 1.0.9 and 1.1. However, it will still be true that 1.0.9 cannot read files saved by 1.1.

Cheers
-- Mark

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-10-2005 07:10 PM

Hello M.G., David T found t

Hello M.G.,

David T found the problem, which is now fixed. The link for Composer11Beta3toBeta4Patch.exe incorrectly pointed to the 1->4 patch rather than the 3->4 patch.

Since you have already downloaded and installed the full beta release 4, there is no reason for you to do anything else.

But be careful not to run 1.0.9 any more, or you'll encounter the font problem that Clyde reported above.

Cheers
-- Mark

M G Jacobs (mgj32) 08-10-2005 07:25 PM

Hi Mark, So nothing is corr

Hi Mark,

So nothing is corrupt. Relieves.

be careful not to run 1.0.9 any more, or you'll encounter the font problem that Clyde reported above.

Er, I hope this information doesn't put a kink in anything, but I files in 1.09 are still fine, as long as they were 1.09 files and are in the Songs folder of the 1.09 directory. The big font is true if anything edited in the beta is opened in 1.09.

I've been using only the beta, anyhow; but just checked to be sure.

best,
mgj

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-10-2005 09:32 PM

Hello Clyde and All, The ab

Hello Clyde and All,

The above problem with the very large or very small font has been fixed for final release of Composer 1.1.

For those who are interested: Starting with the final release of Composer 1.1, there will be a new section in the registry named HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MidiNotate\Composer\Fon tsPointSizeIn10th
That section will be used by MidiNotate version 1.1 and later. The old section HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MidiNotate\Composer\Fon tsPointSizeIn10th will continue to be used by MidiNotate version 1.0.9 and before. Version 1.0.x and 1.1 will no longer conflict with each other in this area of font size.

Cheers
-- Mark

Clyde (clyde) 08-11-2005 02:37 AM

Hi Mark, The real concern h

Hi Mark,
The real concern here is not that the font on startup is 10 times (or whatever) what it should be, but that the PAGE view on the screen is incorrect.

(see PDF previously sent)

The reduction in size does not now appear to work correctly for the page view, making it impossible to print out a score.

(What it seems to be doing in page view is leaving reducing the page dimensions).

Would the suggested registry changes fix this problem?

Cheers ... Clyde

Mark Walsen (markwa) 08-11-2005 06:00 AM

Hi Clyde,

Hi Clyde,

Would the suggested registry changes fix this problem?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>I'm pretty sure, but not absolutely certain, that it will.

Cheers
-- Mark