Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Notation Composer and Musician 242 maintenance release (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2179)

Mark Walsen (markwa) 05-10-2008 01:56 AM

Hello Notation Composer and Mu

Hello Notation Composer and Musician Users,

If you are using Notation Composer or Musician version 2.0 through 2.4.1, you are encouraged to update to version 2.4.2. You can review the version number of Composer or Musician by using the About command in the Help menu.

Visit the following web page for a description of the feature enhancements and bug fixes in the various releases 2.0 up to 2.4.2 and for instructions for updating to the latest version 2.4.2:

http://notation.com/ComposerWebUpdate.php

or

http://notation.com/MusicianWebUpdate.php

IMPORTANT: If you are using Windows Vista and are using Notation Composer or Musician version 2.3, 2.3.1, 2.3.2, 2.3.3, or 2.4 then the Help / Software Updates / Install command will not work. Instead, run the following program that was installed with Composer or Musician on your system: \Program Files\Notation\Composer\wupdate.exe or \Program Files Notation\Musician\wupdate.exe

Cheers
-- Mark

Herbert WENDE (herbert) 05-10-2008 07:31 AM

Hi Mark, A) 1. Selec

Hi Mark,

A)

1. Select notes of a chord.
2. Depress shift + left arrow

Composer terminates.

B)

Depressing ctrl + spacebar adds an empty staff and selects it. Any of the following happens: playback starts, empty staff disappears, Composer terminates.

I use this key combination sometimes by mistake, when I intend to use shift + spacebar. This problem was also with Composer 2.4.1.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Sherry Crann (sherry) 05-10-2008 05:36 PM

Howdy Herbert, Thanks for t

Howdy Herbert,

Thanks for the reports, but we're unable to reproduce the second one. Let's follow up on it via email support, so as not to waste this Announcements section with bandwidth about special setups and such that might be causing an isolated problem.

Thanks!
Sherry

Sherry Crann (sherry) 05-10-2008 05:43 PM

p.s. I misspoke - I'm not

p.s. I misspoke - I'm not able to reproduce either problem.

Thanks!
Sherry

Mark Walsen (markwa) 05-10-2008 05:56 PM

Hello Herbert, Thanks for y

Hello Herbert,

Thanks for your reports. I was able to reproduce the first problem, but not the second. I've already now fixed the first problem (select chord, Shift+LeftArrow, crash), and will release that fix in 2.4.3.

Cheers
-- Mark

Herbert WENDE (herbert) 05-11-2008 02:50 AM

Hi Sherry, Mark, I think no

Hi Sherry, Mark,

I think now, that problem B may have been due to a corrupted file.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Herbert WENDE (herbert) 05-14-2008 09:39 AM

Hi Mark, A) Changing be

Hi Mark,

A) Changing between two open files looses selection of a note.

B) Paste special does not work, when appending a file to another file and the meter differ.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Michael Dodson (michael8648) 05-14-2008 04:01 PM

Selecting a single or a very f

Selecting a single or a very few notes is not labor effective when you can create them on the spot for equal or less effort.
I've never had to use "paste special". Select one or more measures. use control C to copy. Highlight where you want the measure replicated and type control V. If necessary, "deselect", or highlight another measure and type control V for each additional measure needed. Copying measures is efficient. Copying and pasting chord groups will sometimes work, but is not as predictable. "Paste Special" just does not apply here.

Michael Dodson (michael8648) 05-14-2008 04:05 PM

Copying to mismatched meter sh

Copying to mismatched meter shouldn't work. Make meter match in advance. Otherwise, even if copy succeeds, measures will be changed and may not be what you desired. Change the target measures to match, first.

Herbert WENDE (herbert) 05-15-2008 01:53 AM

Hi Michael, I appreciate yo

Hi Michael,

I appreciate your effort to help. This is the right spirit. But you are missing the point. Just read my post again.

A) and B) used to work in earlier versions.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Michael Dodson (michael8648) 05-15-2008 02:53 AM

Thanks for the confidence in i

Thanks for the confidence in intentions. I'm likely missing the value gained or lost with A) or B). So I defer to Mark or Sherry.
Best wishes,

Michael

Herbert WENDE (herbert) 05-15-2008 05:19 AM

Hi Michael, My post was abo

Hi Michael,

My post was about joining files. I usually assemble a project from a number of short files. Paste special is a good way of doing it. I should have said, that I can not remember, having had the problem as indicated in my post.

Just using paste works ok. But I appreciate any improvement in productivity, as I am always battling to finish a project in time. Paste special is faster to use than paste.

I seem to have posted in the wrong section. Somebody has kindly moved the posts.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Sherry Crann (sherry) 05-16-2008 02:43 PM

Howdy Herbert,

Thanks for the reports - I was able to reproduce both problems and they are now in the queue for fixing.

ttfn,
Sherry

Herbert WENDE (herbert) 05-18-2008 12:38 PM

Hi Mark, 1. Select upper an

Hi Mark,

1. Select upper and lower voice notes.
2. Move notes to an empty staff below by shift + down arrow

Composer terminates.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Sherry Crann (sherry) 05-18-2008 01:27 PM

Howdy Herbert,

Thanks for the report - I've been able to reproduce it with only two notes on the same tic. Duly noted (very bad pun intended ;) )

ttfn,
Sherry

Mark Walsen (markwa) 05-18-2008 06:21 PM

Hello Herbert and Sherry, I

Hello Herbert and Sherry,

I was also able to reproduce this with 2.4.2. It is already fixed now in the upcoming 2.4.3. Thanks for the report.

Cheers
-- Mark

Herbert WENDE (herbert) 05-19-2008 08:12 AM

Hi Sherry, The command “Com

Hi Sherry,

The command “Combine chord” or “cc” is most useful.

If one of the notes to be combined is part of a chord, the command does not work.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Mark Walsen (markwa) 05-19-2008 04:58 PM

Hi Herbert, Thanks for repo

Hi Herbert,

Thanks for reporting this bug. I've entered it into the bug list. It will likely get fixed in the next 4 weeks.

Cheers
-- Mark

Herbert WENDE (herbert) 05-20-2008 12:34 PM

Hi Sherry, Mark, If you del

Hi Sherry, Mark,

If you delete a tremolo by depressing the delete button, Composer terminates.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Sherry Crann (sherry) 05-20-2008 07:13 PM

Howdy Herbert, I'm havi

Howdy Herbert,

I'm having difficulty reproducing this problem. Could you please give me the particular steps you're using to see the problem?

My test was as follows:

1. Create a new file.
2. Add a half note on beat one of the first measure.
3. Use the Ornament palette to make that note a tremelo.
4. Select the note, and press Delete.

The note deleted fine for me with no crash. What should I do to see the bug?

Thanks!
Sherry

Herbert WENDE (herbert) 05-21-2008 05:42 AM

Hi Sherry, 1. Open a new fi

Hi Sherry,

1. Open a new file by following the defaults of “Create a New Song”.
2. Place onto the treble staff a chord of two 1/4 notes, g and c. A single note does not show the problem.
3. Change notes to a single chord tremolo.
4. Select both notes. A single note does not show the problem.
5. Depress the delete button.

Composer terminates.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Michael Dodson (michael8648) 05-21-2008 06:38 AM

Dear Sherry, Mark and Herbert,

Dear Sherry, Mark and Herbert,

Have you ever been the least annoyed when you add a note to a staff and you find yourself in limbo land on a previous graphics page? You find your way back, of course, but the paint routine neglected to return to the corrected graphics where the new note is inserted.
I know, ignorance is bliss, and you think I've reached total nervana, but I think the graphics repaint routine could be a possible trigger for your tremelo deletion crash. I would also wonder if the same test crashes if the new tremelo chord is after a few stable measures.

If there is no relation to the repaint problem, I'd still like to have all the repaint routines come back to where one is currently working. By changing the graphics page, it allows a "redraw" offscreen, which is fast and very cool, but please return to the active graphics page where one was last working after the redraw.

Thanks Herbert, for finding the snags. This software is getting better and better all the time. And so goes my three seconds of fame. Best wishes to all.

-- Michael --

Herbert WENDE (herbert) 05-21-2008 09:55 AM

Hi Michael, After using Com

Hi Michael,

After using Composer for a while one becomes familiar with all the good features, but also with some blemishes. Familiarity brings about fondness. Fondness makes us forgiving of a little misbehavior.

I have called the disappearance of the editing object “loss of focus”. Loss of focus is annoying but quite benign.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Michael Dodson (michael8648) 05-21-2008 10:54 PM

Here's hoping for some Cle

Here's hoping for some Clearasil for the software "blemishes". I don't need them, and neither does Composer.

EDIT SETUP doesn't function correctly. (It has, before) The attachment has a "blemish" common to midi imported from Creative Lab editing. The top track is blank or not showing anything useful. Some midi systems use track 1 for rhythm data.
I want to delete the blank track. I could do so before.
I also want to "hide" duplicate tracks so I'll have only three visible tracks to edit for readibility. When I am done with all this I want it to display this way under Conductor's Score. Otherwise, all this useful display work will be gone when opened with Notation Player.
The attachment comes immediately after "Herod's Waltz" in my musical drama. Thus, I eventually want any "newbie" to be capable of printing a legible sheet music.

-- Michael --<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons...hment_icon.gif"The Community Meeting" without karaoke lyrics
The Community Meeting.not (312.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Michael Dodson (michael8648) 05-21-2008 11:30 PM

To clarify the above: STAF

To clarify the above:
STAFF >> SETUP is where I find the problem.

Michael Dodson (michael8648) 05-21-2008 11:53 PM

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons...hment_icon.gifcorrected using version 2.1 (??)
The Community Meeting__2_1.not (305.8 k)</td></tr></table></center>
I used version 2.1 and eventually got what I wanted (I think?) I couldn't get this far with 2.4 . There was so much manipulation involved, I'm not sure this is what I wanted. I may just have to use v2.1 to fix the printing version and remodify the setup for the version to export to midi. I would like for the 5 tracks to play and the three tracks to show, since two of the tracks are dupes (pan is different).
Informed opinion is welcome. Otherwise I will move on.

Mark Walsen (markwa) 05-22-2008 12:32 AM

Hello Herbert, Thanks you f

Hello Herbert,

Thanks you for your clear bug report above, which I was able to reproduce:<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

1. Open a new file by following the defaults of “Create a New Song”.
2. Place onto the treble staff a chord of two 1/4 notes, g and c. A single note does not show the problem.
3. Change notes to a single chord tremolo.
4. Select both notes. A single note does not show the problem.
5. Depress the delete button.

Composer terminates.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>I confirmed that this was b bug in version 2.4.2. I have now fixed it for the upcoming 2.4.3 release.

Cheers
-- Mark

Mark Walsen (markwa) 05-22-2008 01:09 AM

Hello Michael,

Hello Michael,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I want to delete the blank track. I could do so before.
I also want to "hide" duplicate tracks so I'll have only three visible tracks to edit for readibility. When I am done with all this I want it to display this way under Conductor's Score. Otherwise, all this useful display work will be gone when opened with Notation Player.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Sometime, several months and releases ago, there was a change in how Staff Setup works. In Composer, a "part" displays some subset of all of the staves (or all staves in the case of a conductor's score). The change made several months ago was that you can temporarily hide staves for a part. Composer tried to "retrain" users about this behavior change with the follow message box that comes up when you turn the 'Show' checkmark off for a staff:
http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/36062/36088.jpg

I want to delete the blank track. I could do so before.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>There shouldn't be any problem with that. There has been no behavior change. Just do this:
http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/36062/36089.jpg

I also want to "hide" duplicate tracks so I'll have only three visible tracks to edit for readibility. When I am done with all this I want it to display this way under Conductor's Score.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>The following is not the way to do it:http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/36062/36090.jpg
Instead, follow these steps:
  1. Choose the Display or Define Part command in the Part menu.
  2. In the left half of the 'Display and Define Part's dialog, change the selection from 'Conductor's Score' to the first Acoustic Grand Piano part. You'll notice that on the first, only the first piano staff is selected. The following screen shot assumes that you've already previously deleted the empty track:http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/36062/36091.jpg
  3. Click the 'Display Part and Exit' dialog box. You'll see just that first piano part displayed. (You might want to use the Split Hands command.)
  4. Save the file as a Notation .not file, not a MIDI file.
Later, when you open this with Notation Player version 2.3, it will display just first piano part rather than the whole conductor's score, because that was the part that was current at the time that you saved the Notation .not file.

Cheers
-- Mark

Mark Walsen (markwa) 05-22-2008 01:10 AM

Michael, P.S. Wow, I haven

Michael,

P.S. Wow, I haven't had that much fun making screen shots for the forum for a long time.

Cheers
-- Mark

Mark Walsen (markwa) 05-22-2008 01:19 AM

Hello Herbert, I edited my

Hello Herbert,

I edited my post above to say that the 'delete tremolo' bug is now fixed. Actually, I discovered that I had already fixed it in the current version 2.4.3 that I'm working on.

Cheers
-- Mark