Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Suggestions and feature requests (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Time signature change in the middle of tied notes (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3476)

Fury Pilot 11-27-2010 12:29 PM

Time signature change in the middle of tied notes

Hi,

A piece that I've converted from music notation to midi and then read into Notation Player has a time signature change in the middle of a set of tied notes which flow across more than none bar. Instead of putting (and acting on) the time signature change at the point the time signature event appears in the MIDI file, Notation Player is putting the time signature change at the beginning of the bar where the tied notes start. This is subsequently destroying the match between its bars and those in the original music notation.

Please can there be an option to force Notation Player to insert the time signature change at the exact point the MIDI file tells it to (as long as this is the start of a new bar - which it is in the case of the piece I'm currently working on).

Sherry C 11-27-2010 12:37 PM

Re: Time signature change in the middle of tied notes

Hi,

If you could either post the .mid file here, or send it to support@notation.com we'll take a look at it.

Thanks!
Sherry

Fury Pilot 11-27-2010 02:20 PM

Hi,

I've e-mailed a MIDI file with that section of the music, plus a scan of the source music notation to the address you gave.

Let me know if you need any more. BTW I'm using Notation Player v2.6.

Please keep me posted. :-)

Sherry C 11-28-2010 12:43 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the file - the bug with the tied note going into a meter-changed measure is now reported for fixing (task 2388). The note plays correctly (the MIDI info is retained properly for performance) but the tied note doesn't show up in the score when transcribed back from the exported .mid. It does, however, show up if the file was created in Notation Composer and saved as a .not.

The meter change, though, also shows up in the same location in a couple of other notation programs that I tried for testing the file, so I'm thinking there may be an issue with the sequencing software's placement of the time signature in the exported/saved .mid file. It may be worth checking the forum(s) for that software to see if others have had the same issue.

ttfn,
Sherry

Fury Pilot 11-29-2010 06:33 AM

Hi,

You are right about there being an error in the MIDI file I sent you. I have now discovered that the time signature event was inserted between the Note On and Note Off events with a zero delta time, instead of a delta time representing where it actually occurs (in a time sequence sense) in the middle of the tied note sequence. On fixing this in a test MIDI file, Notation Player inserts the time signature at the correct point.

However, in the White Christmas piece, the tied note sequence is followed by a rest. As we know from my other bug report, Notation Player does not correctly display the last note of the tie when followed by a rest. (I assume this is the true bug that you've flagged as 2388 - although your description implies it only occurs when going into a bar with a changed time signature, which is not my experience. I.e. it occurs even when there's no time signature change in the ending bar.)

What I've also discovered is that, in the above case, Notation Player doesn't display the new time signature for that bar either! If I change the rest to a note, the time signature appears. Is this another (related) bug?

HTH

Sherry C 11-29-2010 09:24 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fury Pilot (Post 15161)
However, in the White Christmas piece, the tied note sequence is followed by a rest. As we know from my other bug report, Notation Player does not correctly display the last note of the tie when followed by a rest. (I assume this is the true bug that you've flagged as 2388 - although your description implies it only occurs when going into a bar with a changed time signature, which is not my experience. I.e. it occurs even when there's no time signature change in the ending bar.)

What I've also discovered is that, in the above case, Notation Player doesn't display the new time signature for that bar either! If I change the rest to a note, the time signature appears. Is this another (related) bug?

HTH

I'm only seeing the problem here if that last measure has a different time signature. I've tested new files made from scratch, both with different times signatures (which show the problem) and without (which don't). There may be another bug lurking that is coinciding but not caused by the rest-following-a-note. I'd need to do a bit more digging on that one. Do you happen to have another file or two, or the specific steps that you've taken to expose the bug?

Thanks!
Sherry

Fury Pilot 11-29-2010 10:43 PM

Re: Time signature change in the middle of tied notes (now non-displayed tie end note

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 15163)
Hi,
I'm only seeing the problem here if that last measure has a different time signature. I've tested new files made from scratch, both with different times signatures (which show the problem) and without (which don't). There may be another bug lurking that is coinciding but not caused by the rest-following-a-note. I'd need to do a bit more digging on that one. Do you happen to have another file or two, or the specific steps that you've taken to expose the bug?
Sherry

I've just e-mailed you a test MIDI file which doesn't have time signature changes and has tied notes ending in: a quaver, a crotchet, and a minim; all followed by a rest except in one case. Notation Player doesn't show the ending tie note except for the case where it is followed by a non-rest.