Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Copy/paste may not copy tempo changes as desired (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=4318)

JMKnott 06-03-2012 03:16 PM

Copy/paste may not copy tempo changes as desired

Problem description:

If you select some measures and copy those measures to the clipboard and then paste those measures elsewhere in your song, the notes will be copied/pasted, but any tempo changes in the original copy section may be ignored and not pasted.

Workaround:

Copy while viewing the "Notes and Rests" tab and be sure to have the "View, Show Tempo" (qsgt) on during BOTH the copy and paste operations.

Details:

From the "Notes and Rests" tab, copy/paste will copy the notes, the note velocities, sustain pedal operations, and volume changes regardless of whether "Show Piano Roll", "Show loudness (note velocity)", and/or "Show tempo, volume...MIDI" are (respectively) checked. However, copy/paste will NOT copy the tempo changes unless "View, Show Tempo" (qsgt) is active.

I am not sure if this is considered a bug or not, but since this is inconsistent I thought I'd report it.

Sherry C 06-03-2012 04:41 PM

Re: Copy/paste may not copy tempo changes as desired

Hi,

Actually this behavior is by design. The reason for the design?
We've tried to make it so that folks can easily copy/paste in all the following cases:
(1) just the notes if they want to add the notes to an existing performance tempo or volume, or
(2) just the graph data (MIDI performance such as tempo, volume, etc.), to apply to notes that are already in the score, or
(3) both at the same time, to copy an already well-done section :)
The current implementation allows all three cases.

To do them:
(1) If you want to just copy the notes (and their specifically associated velocities), you can copy/paste a Region while in the Notes palette, without any MIDI graphical data showing.

(2) If you want to copy just the performance (say you have some cool MIDI cc dynamics going on for a particular passage and want to use it on another passage of different notes), you can have Graph Over Notes on with a particular controller selected, and copy the Region to have just that controller data pasted in.

(3) If you want both the notes and MIDI cc data, use View/Show... to select the MIDI cc you want, then click the Notes and Rests tab before doing the copy/paste. You can also "layer" on other MIDI cc data by going to Graph Over Notes, and selecting a different MIDI cc, then copy/pasting the second MIDI cc data.
I am planning on a tutorial video to address the details of using Graph Over Notes, and copy/pasting with that. There's a lot of fine control that is available.

ttfn,
Sherry