Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Invalid Midi file header: missing MThd chunk id (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3697)

newbee 05-11-2011 08:12 PM

Invalid Midi file header: missing MThd chunk id

It's a long error, but it shows as:
Invalid MIDI file header: missing MThd chunk id (see tip.) (error 908)

That is what I get when I try to play numerous Midis on Notation Player.

I went online and did a Search and found the issue listed in the Notation Forum back on May 5, 2002 at 11:13 PM by Mark Walsen who looks to have been (or still is) a Notation Moderator.

It's of course now 2011, - 9 years later and I'm getting the same error for a long list of Midis that I have tried to play.

They mention www.midiworld.com in the Post and that could be where I got these from also, can't recall any longer. But am unable to play any of them due to the Error listed above.

Anyone have a solution, or know what has transpired regarding the answer to this issue, since 2002?

Any help appreciated!

Sherry C 05-11-2011 08:25 PM

Re: Invalid Midi file header: missing MThd chunk id

Hi,

The "missing mThd chunk" is a problem with the .mid file, that it is not structured correctly to be read and transcribed.

Some media players that don't rely on that structure may be able to open and play the file, so you could try using such an application to re-save the file, though I'm not sure if that will help.
It is in our "to do" list to try and overcome the problem, at least for Notation Composer users, by opening such files in Composer and using the ReBar feature. However, that work is on indefinite hold due to the unexpected death of Mark Walsen, the president and chief developer of Notation Software, Inc.

If you'd like to send me one of the files that gives you the error, I can take a look at it and see what I can do.

ttfn,
Sherry

newbee 05-11-2011 08:53 PM

Re: Invalid Midi file header: missing MThd chunk id

Oh dear, I am SO sorry to hear that. I had just found a Post by him regarding this Error, back from 2002, which I will try to insert below.

I will also try to send you a couple of the files (out of a great many) that have the problem.

Forgive me... but maybe this will help in the meantime? It's a shortened Quote from that Forum regarding the Error I get.

MidiNotate Users Community Forum Classical Midi Connection Error Notation Software Support Forum » MidiNotate 4.0 (replaced by Notation Musician) -- How to Use It, Questions and Answers » Classical Midi Connection Error « Previous Next » Author Message
MidiNotate chokes with an error message -- "file was downloaded, but it is not a correctly formatted MIDI file...cannot convert to notation. Invalid MIDI file header: missing MThd chunk id"
Mark Walsen (markwa)
Posted on Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 12:08 pm: I've confirmed the problem Steve has reported. Some, perhaps all, of the MIDI files at the Classical Midi Connection web site (www.classicalmidiconnection.com) are not correctly formatted MIDI files. MidiNotate cannot read these files.We successfully reviewed many of them when we listed them at our www.notation.com/midifiles.htm page. I may have to drop the Classical Midi Connection from our list of recommended MIDI file sites.
-- Mark

Steve K
Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 5:44 pm: Well, here's the URL for support of Classical Midi Connection: http://www.midiworld.com/mw_cont.htm
Someone named Les Winters. I sent him a message about this. No reply yet. I have a feeling it's something intentional, to prevent unauthorized proliferation of the files.

Mark Walsen (markwa)
Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 11:13 pm: Hi, Steve. Given the contact you found, I have also sent Les Winters at the Classical Midi Connection a message. Not many weeks ago my wife and I successfully tried out MIDI files from this web site. So, this is a recent problem. I doubt that this web site is intentionally reformatting the MIDI files so that they cannot be read by programs like MidiNotate, There's some other explanation. If I don't hear back from Les Winters in a few days, I'll dig into the MIDI file data to see where it deviates from the expected MIDI file format.
-- Mark
Add Your Message Here Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.