Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Share news about music (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2585)
-   -   Tips Please for a new user (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=1740)

Dale Crossland (bigbeardale) 04-25-2007 03:20 AM

I just purchased the composer

I just purchased the composer software, and would appreciate any tips at all you guys can give here on using it. The main thing I want it for is to help teach me to play a Casio Keyboard that my Father gave to me before he passed away.
I will probably be trying to copy music from lesson books, fake books, etc. into the software, unless anyone knows of places to find learning files already made for Notation Composer, that would be great.
All of your tips and shortcuts will help a lot.

Thanks a lot,

Dale

Clyde (clyde) 04-25-2007 03:41 AM

Hi Dale, Welcome to the Com

Hi Dale,
Welcome to the Composer forum and user group. I'm sure you will find there are lots of helpful people on the forum. Sherry, our main helper, is currently off-line (due to her home burning down), but there are lots of willing helpers.

Can I just make one suggestion to enable you to broaden your scope of teaching helps. Composer is equally good at reading 'midi' files, and seeing this is a common musical standard there are probably lots of stuff out there.

I just tried:
midi music lessons free
in Google and came up with lots of interesting stuff.

Cheers ... Clyde

David Jacklin (dj) 04-25-2007 12:04 PM

Hi, Dale: As Clyde says, mi

Hi, Dale:

As Clyde says, midi files are excellent learning tools. AND they come in all types and sizes, from Ambient to Zydeco.

As far as shortcuts go, investigate the Step-time Recording Mode (the Plus-sign with the red dot in the tool bar). This will let you learn the keyboard at the same time that you are entering songs into Composer, without needing to have a lot of real-time finger facility.

As to the rest, well, there's only one way to get to Carnegie Hall: "Practice, son, practice!"

David

Dale Crossland (bigbeardale) 04-26-2007 03:54 AM

Thank both of you guys for you

Thank both of you guys for your help. I will look for some of the midi files for help. I really like the composer program. I think it is going to help me a lot. I also purchased the printed manual for it from this site, and it is fantastic. You will not go wrong if you buy it. I want to thank Sherry too. When I was trying the demo out, I could not get the software to make a dotted half note in some places, and Sherry emailed me how to get it to work. After getting fast help like that, I bought the software and the manual.
Thanks again,
Dale

David Jacklin (dj) 04-26-2007 11:21 AM

Hi, Dale: Mark and Sherry a

Hi, Dale:

Mark and Sherry are fantastic in the support area (among other things).

I am in a frustrating situation right now with the wonderful folk at Magix, whose video/music software I'm using for a project. Their support system consists of stony silence and the usual answer to any problem report on their forum is "How dare you criticize us?" Software is not bad but how do you exist with non-existent support?

From day 1, Mark has been the best in that regard.

Cheers

David

Mark Walsen (markwa) 04-26-2007 03:26 PM

Hello David and Dale, Ok, y

Hello David and Dale,

Ok, you guys are buttering me up for something. What new feature are you about to ask for?

Cheers
-- Mark

Jaap Veneman (jaapv) 04-26-2007 06:09 PM

Hello Guys, Girls I whole h

Hello Guys, Girls

I whole hearted support this statement. As user, as well as end-user support of many different kind of software for Notation, Sound, Music, Video editing, Photo processing, DVD making, Computer Operationi systems and Computer Networks, I often have to do deal with the silence of support organizations, (few good exceptions), but the support of Mark, don't forget Sherry, is in many ways outstanding. They fully deserve the compliments, apart from the continues effort of Mark to improve his products carefully considering our wishes.

Keep on this tremendous good job

Cheers Jaap

David Jacklin (dj) 04-27-2007 11:50 AM

Mark warily queried: [b]Ok, yo

Mark warily queried: Ok, you guys are buttering me up for something. What new feature are you about to ask for?

Well, could you incorporate tax software in Composer so I can do my taxes while composing music?

Shouldn't be too hard.

David