Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Share news about music (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2585)
-   -   moving updown in octaves (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=1727)

Djim Tio (djimtio) 07-18-2008 12:59 PM

Hi Sherry Almost ashamed to a

Hi Sherry
Almost ashamed to ask,but I "forgot " or too lazy to find out again how to move up/down in octaves a single or more measures without affecting a whole staff in Composer.
Just running out of RAM ( no not my PC ) lately, I guess.
Regards
Djim

Sherry Crann (sherry) 07-18-2008 03:26 PM

Howdy Djim, Gonna cost you

Howdy Djim,

Gonna cost you extra ;)

1. Select the note(s)
2. Press "P" and Page up/down at the same time.

ttfn,
Sherry

Djim Tio (djimtio) 07-18-2008 05:00 PM

Hi Sherry Thanks for upgradin

Hi Sherry
Thanks for upgrading my RAM.
Regards
Djim

M G Jacobs (mgj32) 07-19-2008 06:24 AM

Hi Djim, Another way to mov

Hi Djim,

Another way to move up or down an octave is to press Shift and Keypad Plus to go up and Shift and Keypad Minus to go down. The way my keyboard is set up, this is easier for me to do.

BTW, I'm going to try to put my whole first piano concerto on ZShare. Advantage 1 is that I can specify the time I want between movements just by inserting silence and advantage 2 is that I can use a higher quality mp3, WMA losless, or even .wav. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

all best,
mgj

Djim Tio (djimtio) 07-19-2008 01:19 PM

Hi MG Thanks for your suggest

Hi MG
Thanks for your suggestion,but I can´t find anything like Keypad on my keyboard.So for the moment I will stick to Sherry´s solution.
I am looking forward to listen to your piano concerto on ZShare.Please do keep us informed.
Regards
Djim

David Jacklin (dj) 07-20-2008 11:58 AM

Hi, Djim: Unless you're

Hi, Djim:

Unless you're using a laptop, the keypad is the funny collection of numbers on the right, intended for use by accounts and C++ programmers.

David

Djim Tio (djimtio) 07-20-2008 12:08 PM

Hi Dave Thanks for enlighteni

Hi Dave
Thanks for enlightening me on the Keypad function.I have always wondered what it is doing there.I will give it a try now.
Regards
Djim

Djim Tio (djimtio) 11-01-2008 03:29 PM

Hi Dave Just another " pr

Hi Dave
Just another " problem " in my " personal" silly questions thread,I am afraid.Loaded a simple Cmaj 1-6-2-5 bass line progression in Composer.The stafff showed up in the key of Emaj, while the bass line is still in C. I have other examples of this kind, which I have always ignored, thus far.
Is there an explanation of Composer doing this " transposition " ? Am I missing a point on how Composer handles imported mid.files ?
Regards
Djim
http://www.notation.com/discus/messages/35939/36775.jpg

Sherry Crann (sherry) 11-01-2008 04:14 PM

Howdy Djim, Maybe because t

Howdy Djim,

Maybe because the triplet is in there, it was assuming the keyboard player was playing blues in E ;)

Seriously, when you say "loaded", did you enter the notation yourself, or did you open an existing .mid file? If it was an existing .mid file, can you please either upload it here, or send it to me at the helpdesk? (support@notation.com) We want the transcription of .mid files to be as "musical" as possible, so if there are specific cases we can use to do some tweaking, it can be helpful. If a file is obviously in C based on the notes that are present, then Composer shouldn't be setting a key signature in E.

Thanks!
Sherry

Djim Tio (djimtio) 11-01-2008 07:31 PM

Hi Sherry As a matter of fact

Hi Sherry
As a matter of fact, I opened some existing mid.files ( while trying to work out Copl.....) , when I saw the discrepancy. Attached a similar not.file ( being less lenghty than the 1-6-2-5- progression )but principally with the same problem.A small song in C ( according to me http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif )and in Bes according to Composer.
Thanks for digging in into this " problem ".
Regards
Djim<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.notation.com/discus/icons...hment_icon.gifC or Bes ?
nuffsaid.not (219.2 k)</td></tr></table></center>

David Jacklin (dj) 11-02-2008 11:57 AM

Hi, people: AFAIK, Composer

Hi, people:

AFAIK, Composer gets its key sig information from the midi file it's reading, Djim. We had a similar discussion a while back and I believe that was Mark's comment.

So, if the whole piece is in a wrong key sig, it may be in the original file.

If one staff comes up in a different sig, is it possible that Composer is transposing it from its instrument transpose table?

Interesting international differences in terminology: to Djim, two flats is Bes; to me, it's B flat. Same song, though. Same thing when talking to Clyde about crotchets and quavers.

To me a crotchet is what I feel like at six in the morning, especially when I've been doing tech for a production of the Wizard of Oz all the previous day and am about to head back to the theatre for 16 hour day today.

David

Mark Walsen (markwa) 11-02-2008 04:05 PM

Hello David,

Hello David,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Composer gets its key sig information from the midi file it's reading<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>That's true when there is key sig information in the MIDI file. When there isn't key sig information in the MIDI file, then Composer deduces it based on harmonies of notes in the MIDI file.

If one staff comes up in a different sig, is it possible that Composer is transposing it from its instrument transpose table?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>The MIDI file's key sig information is essentially in the conductor's track rather than individual tracks, so this case couldn't happen. It's probably rare that a MIDI file is saved with tracks that have instrument-transposed pitches rather than concert (non-transposed) pitches.

To me a crotchet is what I feel like at six in the morning<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>... And to me, semi-quaver is how I feel halfway through the morning when I've only had two out of my four cups of coffee.

Cheers
-- Mark

Djim Tio (djimtio) 11-02-2008 07:08 PM

Hi David and Mark Thanks for

Hi David and Mark
Thanks for your comments despite the crotchets and quavers,whatever nasty creatures they might be http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif.

quote :When there isn´t key sig information in the MIDI file ( in casu Nuffsaid )then Composer deduces it based on harmonies of notes in the
Midi file.

If so,shouldn´t Composer have opened the file in the key of Bes/B flat( or whatever ) instead of in the original key (C ), or do I miss some point ?
Please take it easy, both of you !
Regards
Djim

Mark Walsen (markwa) 11-02-2008 08:07 PM

Hello Djim,

Hello Djim,

If so,shouldn´t Composer have opened the file in the key of Bes/B flat( or whatever ) instead of in the original key (C ), or do I miss some point ?<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>If you still have the original MIDI file, please send it, and I'll take a look. Sometimes MIDI files have the incorrect key sig, most typically C when it should be something else. This typically happens if the MIDI file author uses a MIDI sequencer app, and that author doesn't care about notation, or perhaps doens't even read notation. That author might record the MIDI from his MIDI keyboard, and save the MIDI file with a default C key sig.

Perhaps Composer should consider a key sig of C as a special case. Rather than assuming C is the correct key sig, Composer could do the harmony analysis and propose a different key sig to the user. Or, perhaps if the harmony analysis convincingly comes up with a different key sig, the C key sig in the MIDI file would be ignored. Does that proposal make sense? If so, would you like Composer to do that?

Cheers
-- Mark

Djim Tio (djimtio) 11-02-2008 10:31 PM

Hi Mark Thanks for the very i

Hi Mark
Thanks for the very illuminating explanation about the way how (some ) midi files are made.I do not think Composer should bother too much about
such " bad " midi files.
As a matter of fact, I came up with this " problem " while messing around with a Beta version ( I can´t mention here )and just wondering how such
midi files would be processed.
BTW, I loaded up the not.file ( Nuffsaid, may be familiar to you from previous Beta testings )a couple of mails above ( postnumber 326 ).
Take care
Regards
Djim