Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Removing Vibrato (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2836)

mswlogo 10-03-2009 01:49 AM

Removing Vibrato

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Song with a Violin Staff.

I'd like to the Vibrato like sound it has.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to remove it.

Thanks.

EDIT: Added attachment. Violin Staff Only is all I care about. I set modulation wheel flat, and pitch blend flat. Still has vibrato.

Sherry C 10-03-2009 01:13 PM

Re: Removing Vibrato

Howdy,

Thanks for posting the file - that always helps! (BTW, this one has a very convincing bodhran!)

You can see which controllers are being used in a file or specific staff by clicking the Graph Over Notes tab, and then clicking the "Ctl" button that has the red question mark (?) on it.
If you have a staff selected when you click this button, there will be asterisks (*) next to the controllers that are used in that staff.
If you don't have a staff selected, the asterisks will be next to any controllers that are used anywhere in the file.

When I opened the file that you had attached, I found that both Mod Wheel and Expression were used in the violin staff. Since you mentioned that you had set Mod Wheel to 0, perhaps this file is the original? In any event, to set any controller to "0" for the entire length of the song, you can do the following:
1. With the song open, click the Graph Over Notes tab.
2. Click the button that has "Ctl" with a red question mark (?) on it.
3. In the list, select the controller you want to edit.
4. You'll now see the graph of that controller.
5. Click the "96" button - this will allow you to enter a fixed setting (number value) for the controller for the entire length of the song.
6. Enter the number value (you'll see the range for the particular controller) and select which staff to apply the change to.
7. Click "Ok." You should see the graph change accordingly.
The Expression controller may well be the one that is causing the unwanted vibrato - it looked like it was set up to do that.

Some files are created with a particular MIDI playback device in mind that makes use of various controllers to good effect. However, that same file, when played on other MIDI playback devices, can sound positively horrendous because of those same controllers. Composer does help you see which controllers are being used quickly, and lets you experiment with them (because you can always use the "Undo" command :) ) to pinpoint which ones are causing a problem (or which ones can really enhance the sound for your device.)

Let us know how it goes :)

ttfn,
Sherry

mswlogo 10-03-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 12880)
Howdy,

Thanks for posting the file - that always helps! (BTW, this one has a very convincing bodhran!)

You can see which controllers are being used in a file or specific staff by clicking the Graph Over Notes tab, and then clicking the "Ctl" button that has the red question mark (?) on it.
If you have a staff selected when you click this button, there will be asterisks (*) next to the controllers that are used in that staff.
If you don't have a staff selected, the asterisks will be next to any controllers that are used anywhere in the file.

When I opened the file that you had attached, I found that both Mod Wheel and Expression were used in the violin staff. Since you mentioned that you had set Mod Wheel to 0, perhaps this file is the original? In any event, to set any controller to "0" for the entire length of the song, you can do the following:
1. With the song open, click the Graph Over Notes tab.
2. Click the button that has "Ctl" with a red question mark (?) on it.
3. In the list, select the controller you want to edit.
4. You'll now see the graph of that controller.
5. Click the "96" button - this will allow you to enter a fixed setting (number value) for the controller for the entire length of the song.
6. Enter the number value (you'll see the range for the particular controller) and select which staff to apply the change to.
7. Click "Ok." You should see the graph change accordingly.
The Expression controller may well be the one that is causing the unwanted vibrato - it looked like it was set up to do that.

Some files are created with a particular MIDI playback device in mind that makes use of various controllers to good effect. However, that same file, when played on other MIDI playback devices, can sound positively horrendous because of those same controllers. Composer does help you see which controllers are being used quickly, and lets you experiment with them (because you can always use the "Undo" command :) ) to pinpoint which ones are causing a problem (or which ones can really enhance the sound for your device.)

Let us know how it goes :)

ttfn,
Sherry

I had successfully set the mod wheel to 0 as you describe above but for some reason it didn't save before I uploaded it. I did manage to save it with mod wheel 0 later on. Setting mod wheel to 0 didn't solve it, so I didn't bother to repost file, but I think modwheel 0 reduced it some. Even if I change it to a Piano or even a xylophone I still here vibrato.

Note that I am slowing it down quite a bit (50%). At normal tempo vibrato is not an issue.

Are you saying it's my hardware?

Sherry C 10-03-2009 04:35 PM

Howdy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswlogo (Post 12882)
Are you saying it's my hardware?

No, I was suggesting it may be the Expression controller. Take a look using the steps I listed, but click on "Expression" rather than "Mod wheel" in the controller list.

ttfn,
Sherry

mswlogo 10-04-2009 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 12883)
Howdy,

No, I was suggesting it may be the Expression controller. Take a look using the steps I listed, but click on "Expression" rather than "Mod wheel" in the controller list.

ttfn,
Sherry

Thanks, that did it.

Turns out it was both the mod wheel and expression had to be flattened to get rid of all vibrato.