Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Transposing Chords with over bass (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2911)

Kentric 11-26-2009 08:06 AM

Transposing Chords with over bass

Can NC transpose chords and insert over bass notes where applicable?
(eg D, D7/F#, G etc). If so how? If not, can it be done in a later release?

Sherry C 11-26-2009 02:55 PM

Re: Transposing Chords with over bass

Howdy,

This is a feature that we have slated for an upcoming release, date to be determined.

ttfn,
Sherry

Kentric 11-27-2009 05:34 AM

Thanks Sherry,

Looking forward to that.

Ken.

herbert 11-27-2009 06:55 AM

Hi,

After years of using Notation Composer, I never noticed that the bass note in a slash chord in the chord symbol does not transpose. It does not affect the performance and perhaps that is why I have not noticed it. It is likely to confuse musicians reading the score. I will have to apologies to a number of people.

Herbert

Kentric 11-27-2009 07:07 AM

ooops ......

Kentric 11-27-2009 07:22 AM

Hi Herbert,

I play keyboard with a pedal bass, mostly chords (LH) and melody (RH) and of course, bass (Foot). So over-bass notes are important to me. A great deal of sheet music I play from has chords/over-Bass. The composer obiously chooses the OB note to add value to the music. Which it does. I have owned BIAB for years, and it is very prolific in creating and transcribing chords with OB notes.
BIAB of course does not give me the fullest control when notating. I much prefer to notate with Notation Composer.

Good Luck,

Ken.

Kentric 11-27-2009 08:34 AM

Hi Herbert,

Me again!

I have thought about what you said earlier and went and tried transposing, from one key to another, a piece with over-bass notes. The OB notes are transposing perfectly.

My problem is when transcribing chords from a midi file for example, it would be quite nice to have NC automatically work out the OB notes for you.

I think you might be off the hook here!

Regards,

Ken

herbert 11-27-2009 11:25 PM

Hi Ken,

You misunderstood my post. The transposition facilities in Composer have been done well and work well.

Above the system in the notation you have the option to automatically transcribe and display or just enter chord symbols. The chord symbols are transposed when you use the transpose command. What is not transposed is the slash – bass note after the chord symbol. This is a bug. It does not affect the performance, as the chord symbols are of cosmetic nature only.
BIAB differs in this respect. It could confuse musicians relying on the chord symbols.

Herbert