Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Share Your Music (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Don't Get Around Much Anymore Septet (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3145)

rrayner 04-20-2010 05:22 PM

Don't Get Around Much Anymore Septet

1 Attachment(s)
At the risk of flooding this forum with too much of my stuff, I'll post one more for the time being. Don't Get Around Much Anymore was written by Duke Ellington in 1940.

This arrangement is in the septet format and actually is my orchestration of an arrangement for the Les Elgart Band. I do not know who the original arranger was.

One of the learn-by-copying tools we employed at Berklee was to take any particular song on a album, and try to create an exact paper copy of it. This is a very arduous task, but you learn a lot in the process. The specific voicings are the biggest challenge and sometimes the vagaries of recording techniques render it impossible to get this exact. But, you try and you learn. I did the big band copy of it for school, and while I was in the Air Force, I down-sized it for my septet.

This score was written with swing triplet notation to get the right feel, but I retranscribed it before putting it on the forum. The swing triplet notation presented only two measures per page in some instances -- not very easy to read/study.

Again, the attachment sounds better in midi than on a PC sound card.

If you're interested in hearing the original, the CD is available. It is a two-LP combination of the albums Les & Larry Elgart and Les Elgart on Tour. The production company is Collectables, and there are two IDs on it: COL-CD-6646; and Sony A-31582.

Ralph Rayner

Sherry C 04-21-2010 11:02 AM

Re: Don't Get Around Much Anymore

Howdy Ralph,

With these arrangements, please keep flooding :)

I should tell you too, that I know the drummer from our local big band and I've played him some of your files (he just recently started using Composer). He's really excited about "custom" arranging numbers for their band now, inspired in part by your arrangements :)

So keep 'em coming - we're all loving it!

ttfn,
Sherry

djimtio 04-21-2010 11:48 AM

Hi Ralph
May I humbly oppose your decision to stop flooding us with the nice and interresting arrangements ?
I do like your stories behind the music making in those good old days without PCs Composer,midi and soundfonts.
Remembers me of the time when I was trying to transpose and play along Ray Browns
bass lines on an old cello,from the local pawnshop,while listening to Oscar Peterson Trio
pieces from an old tape recorder.
So please keep them coming.
Regards

Djim

adrianallan 04-27-2010 05:59 AM

I really enjoyed this arrangement, being more sultry and bluesy than other versions I've heard.

Keep them coming.