Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   General music tips and questions (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2848)
-   -   Perform repeats (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=32723)

Briansdad 02-26-2016 05:04 PM

Perform repeats

When I play my score, Composer ignores my repeat bars. Can I get composer to play the song attending to the repeats as the performer would?

Bill

Sherry C 02-26-2016 07:45 PM

Re: Perform repeats

Hi Bill,

By default Composer should play the song with the repeats as entered in the score via the repeat bar lines. You can also manually edit the way the song plays using Perform -> Edit Repetition Instructions.

If you have a file that has both beginning repeat and ending repeat barlines and Composer is not playing it properly, please either attach the file here or send a copy of it to suppor@notation.com so we can check that out.

ttfn,
Sherry

Briansdad 02-27-2016 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 66712)
Hi Bill,

By default Composer should play the song with the repeats as entered in the score via the repeat bar lines. You can also manually edit the way the song plays using Perform -> Edit Repetition Instructions.

If you have a file that has both beginning repeat and ending repeat barlines and Composer is not playing it properly, please either attach the file here or send a copy of it to suppor@notation.com so we can check that out.

ttfn,
Sherry

Attached is the first part of the song I am currently working on. The repeat is supposed to be from measures 1 - 8 in this sample. It does not repeat when I play it.

Bill

Sherry C 02-27-2016 01:16 AM

Hi Bill,

Thanks for attaching the file. (Cool spiritual btw :) )

Composer does not understand repeats (nor do many musicians ;) ) unless they come in pairs, so in this case you would either need to (1) make the first barline a beginning repeat bar line OR (2) edit the Repetition instructions in Perform -> Edit repetition instructions. If you use method (2), Composer will give you a warning about the unpaired repeat, but you can still do it that way if you really want to.

ttfn,
Sherry

Briansdad 02-27-2016 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 66715)
Hi Bill,

Thanks for attaching the file. (Cool spiritual btw :) )

Composer does not understand repeats (nor do many musicians ;) ) unless they come in pairs, so in this case you would either need to (1) make the first barline a beginning repeat bar line OR (2) edit the Repetition instructions in Perform -> Edit repetition instructions. If you use method (2), Composer will give you a warning about the unpaired repeat, but you can still do it that way if you really want to.

ttfn,
Sherry

http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/ima...ons/icon11.gif
Well, it's like this. I tried over and over to get an initial repeat bar but it just wouldn't appear. :confused: I was clicking where I "wanted" the bar to be, to the right of the clef. Figured Composer just would default to the beginning, I guess, since it wouldn't draw it.This time I clicked to the left of the clef, at the beginning of the staff (of course) and, voila, the repeat appeared to the right of the clef! :o

Thanks again. I'll post the whole piece when I'm done. I'm preparing it for a TEDx performance in April by a local community college.

Bill

Sherry C 02-27-2016 02:54 AM

Hi Bill,

In general to edit any barline, just click it directly, then select the type of barline you want to change it to. So yeah, for the first barline you have to select it, then after you've changed it to a Beginning Repeat it will appear to the right of the clef symbol.

Thanks for the step-by-step of what you did - it is always helpful to us to know what users are trying to accomplish and how they are trying to do it so we will know how to tweak the software in the future to make it easier to use.

I'm looking forward to hearing the whole piece :)

ttfn,
Sherry

p.s. Have you given any thought to perhaps using different instruments for the different voices? Over the years we've had some pretty creative choir and vocal ensemble coordinators using different instruments to help the members differentiate the voices they were supposed to be following. Just a thought.

Briansdad 02-27-2016 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 66717)

p.s. Have you given any thought to perhaps using different instruments for the different voices? Over the years we've had some pretty creative choir and vocal ensemble coordinators using different instruments to help the members differentiate the voices they were supposed to be following. Just a thought.

I've paid little attention to the voicing as yet. Non of the scores I've done are about getting a polished midi performance. My primary goal is to get some usable sheet music printed up. In the past I have used a variety of voices but most of the time, if individual study parts are needed, I export midis reduced to single parts for "homework" rehearsal. A times I have even edited so that the volume of the other parts is heard but at a faint background level for context. For some reason, which bewilders me, I can't seem to get singers to use the Notation player for their homework. Seems to be a no-brainer but they balk at using another piece of technology. I am not the director but just the tech guy so I have only minimal influence. No to my next post!