Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Scan support (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2128)

Thomas Spillman (tom_spillman) 03-24-2006 04:07 PM

I play in a community band and

I play in a community band and often use Midinote composer to facilitate my practice, both for band rehearsal preparation and for music assigned by my horn teacher. Curreently, I am entering this music with a small midi keyboard, but this quickly becomes tedious. I am trying the smart score software which has the capability of exporting *.mid files.

Has anyone reported using such software? Any known problems? Is there a better way?

I'd like to cut down the amount of work I have to do while keeping my costs minimized.

Thanks..

Tom

Mark Walsen (markwa) 03-24-2006 05:08 PM

Hello Tom, Musitek's Sm

Hello Tom,

Musitek's SmartScan is one of the two most respected music scanners out there, the other being SharpEye. So, you're using a good one.

Currently, to use MidiNotate Composer with SmartScore or any other music scanner, the bridge between the two is MIDI. This is not ideal, because the MIDI loses basic information, such as whether a note is spelled as C# or Db; and it also does not included music annotations such as accent marks and dynamic marks.

The industry standard method for moving a scanned score into another notation program is to use MusicXML. I am planning on adding MusicXML export support in MidiNotate in the upcoming 2.0 release currently scheduled for late May. However, MusicXML import support is needed for the bridge from a music scanner to MidiNotate. I hope to support MusicXML import by fall, 2006.

Cheers
-- Mark

Sherry Crann (sherry) 03-24-2006 05:55 PM

Howdy Tom, I also use a pro

Howdy Tom,

I also use a program by Neuratron called PhotoScore MIDI Lite. It is a very basic scanning app that only exports to .mid, and only costs $24. I've found it to be very useful for scanning in hymns and other music (such as piano scores) that I needed to rearrange for sheet music for multiple instruments. This setup has worked fine for my needs, but I also haven't added a whole lot of annotations or dynamic marks (I do add some, just not prolific amounts).

Mark is correct that the best method is XML, but using the scanner app to export a .mid to Composer also works pretty darn well ;)

ttfn,
Sherry

Thomas Spillman (tom_spillman) 03-25-2006 02:21 PM

Sherry, Thanks for the inpu

Sherry,

Thanks for the input.

I downloaded the trial version of Photoscore MIDI Lite after reading your post. I scanned a couple of pieces of my band music and while there were scanning errors, it SEEMS like I got fewer errors. The editor is a little awkward, but I think if I can do the minimum editing needed to create a MIDI file that I can import into Composer I can fix it in Composer easier than in the scanning software. Of course, the fact that I'm familiar with Composer probably helps!

It seems like it is worth a try.

Trying to enter pages and pages of music with a MIDI keyboard was getting VERY tedious. I also like the facilities of Composer that allow me to set up a practice loop, and the like.

Thanks again...

Tom

Thomas Spillman (tom_spillman) 03-25-2006 08:28 PM

Sherry, I agree. It ain

Sherry,

I agree. It ain't bad. I bought it and then I scanned in one of the pieces we're working on in the band and attacked it. There were some errors,, particularly in recognizing multibar rests (I doubt that it got any right!).

I spent about ten or fifteen minutes getting gross errors cleaned up and then saved it as a midi file. I picked the midi file up in Composer and spent about 45 minutes cleaning it up. This particular piece of music has 134 bars. I doubt that I could have entered it (and cleaned it up -- articulations, dynamics, and the like) in less than six hours.

For me, this is a significant time saving and certainly worth the price.

Thanks again for the info.

Regards...

Tom

Sherry Crann (sherry) 03-25-2006 08:37 PM

Howdy Tom, I'm glad it

Howdy Tom,

I'm glad it works for you, too! I've also found it to be a real time saver, as well as being a nice inexpensive addition to my musical arsenal. Here's to good music in less time!

ttfn,
Sherry

Thomas Spillman (tom_spillman) 03-27-2006 08:22 PM

Mark, There is an interesti

Mark,

There is an interesting interface problem. The scans require editing to get them ready to create a MIDI file. They will not allow a file to be saved if the beat count for a measure doesn't add up properly. Luckily, for me, they will allow you to add notes, rests, and the like to a measure with continual checks for accuracy (bars with incorrect counts have red on top and bottom so they can be spotted quickly). They will NOT change a notes value, but will indicate that the count is incorrect. In many cases the count mught be off by two br=eats and you plan to add two quarter notes -- comoser often will not allow that situation (I have had them change the quarter note to a half not when I enter it). I recognize that this may be because I have not found the proper answer to avoid such problems! However, until I fined the "proper" way, I like this approach, as I mentioned several months ago.

However, today I entered the Danse Bacchanale by Saint-Saens. It has some intriguing changes in meter from place to place, e.g., 4/4, followed by one bar at 2/4, then 3 at 3/4 and then back to 4/4. I cleaned all of these up in the editor and then created the MIDI file. I have no idea whose ideas of a proper MIDI file are correct, but I had to go back and correct a number of errors in composer when I opened the MIDI file in Composer. Some meters and nots were changed by composer. I figured out a method which works for me when Composer throws off the rythym by changing a meter or inserting a note. I found if composer adds a note, that I can change the meter to, perhaps, 1/4, modify the wrong note (or delete it by deleting the measure!) and then change the meter back correctly.

I still have saved a BUNCH of time even though I have to clean up the files twice.

This is just an FYI, since I have found a couple of work-arounds.

Who knows, maybe Sherry has some better ideas?

Regards...

Tom

Thomas Spillman (tom_spillman) 03-27-2006 08:24 PM

My goodness!! I'm going

My goodness!!

I'm going to have to proof read more carefully!!

Excuse all of the typos in the preceding message, please!!

Tom

Sherry Crann (sherry) 03-27-2006 08:57 PM

Howdy Tom, I had your same

Howdy Tom,

I had your same experience re. meter changes. I think what might happen (and Mark can correct me here if I'm wrong) is that even though you clean up the meter changes (such as from 4/4 to 3/4) in the scanning app, the .mid file that it saves doesn't appear to necessarily save it that way. I found I actually had better success with some pieces if I made the meter consistent (say, all 4/4) and then saved the .mid with added rests, and opened it in Composer. Then I, just looked for the measures that had the quarter note (or whatever) rest in all the staves, and altered the measures there. I'm not sure which way takes less time, but that method made me feel like I was saving time, anyway http://www.notation.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif

The other thing you have to watch out for with PhotoScore MIDI Lite is that it doesn't seem to be consistent about if it transcribes two voices or single voice per staff. The version that I have says it only does single voice per staff, but it does in fact do two if I click the little box check mark. This can make a difference in the "red marks" you get on the beat counts for each measure.

The version I have (3.10) will save an "incorrect" MIDI file if you click the "save anyway" button when it brings up the warning box. I've done that occasionally, too, and just cleaned it up in Composer. I guess my approach has been that I try to do the minimal amount of clean up necessary in the scanner app to get a recognizable file in Composer, and used Composer mostly for major clean up.

That said, I do like the "magnified view" interface in the scanner app that lets you look at the original image scan so you can be sure of what the notation on the printed page looked like right where you're editing. I really needed that last summer when I was working on some old parlor piano music, and some of the sheets were in really bad shape, or really small print.

I hope something here is helpful!

ttfn,
Sherry

Mark Walsen (markwa) 03-27-2006 09:28 PM

Hello Tom and Sherry, If th

Hello Tom and Sherry,

If there are meter changes in a scanned score, then I would think that any scanning program would detect and save the meter changes in the exported MIDI files. MIDI files can keep track of meter changes. And if MidiNotate finds the meter changes in a MIDI file, then it will use them correctly when converting to sheet music.

I would be somewhat surprised if Photoscore MIDI Lite doesn't support meter changes. Perhaps you could refer to its documentation to see if it does or not.

Cheers
-- Mark

Thomas Spillman (tom_spillman) 03-27-2006 09:46 PM

Mark and Sherry, Th scanned

Mark and Sherry,

Th scanned score SHOWS meter changes and where incorrect allows changes before saving to a MIDI file. However, when the MIDI file is read into Composer in some cases the meter changes are not the same as in the scanned score. That is why I said I didn't know who was handling the MIDI file improperly, the MIDI file created by the scanning program or composer in reading it.

If you like, it should not be hard to come up with a partial page with some meter changes, scan it, correct it, if necessary, save the corrected version as a BMP or Tif file, then convert to midi. I can send you all of the files, if you wish.

However, since Sherry and I are coming up with work-around and there doesn't seem to be a lot of pressure for solution, I imagine you might have better things to do with your time <g>

Regards...

Tom

Mark Walsen (markwa) 03-30-2006 03:36 PM

Hello Tom, One thing you mi

Hello Tom,

One thing you might do to arbitrate whether Photoscore MIDI Lite or MidiNotate Composer that is confused about the scanned meters is to take the MIDI output of Photoscore to another notation program and see whether it is confused, as MidiNotate is, about the meter. If two different notation programs are both confused about the meters, then that tends to point the finger at Photoscore MIDI Lite.

Cheers
-- Mark

Joerg Triesch (joerg) 01-18-2007 08:50 PM

Hi Mark, I did a bit of work

Hi Mark,
I did a bit of work with the new Composer 2.0. Great improvements. I love it even more than before.
Now I'm considering to buy sheet scanning software, probably Capella Scan. It exports files in Music-XML format. I was wondering whether you plan to introduce an XML-Import functionality.
All the best.
Jörg

Mark Walsen (markwa) 01-20-2007 03:38 AM

Hello Joerg, There have bee

Hello Joerg,

There have been lots of requests for MusicXML import support in Composer. It's competing for priority with several other major new features, but its priority is increasing. I suspect MusicXML import will be included in Composer by the end of April.

Cheers
-- Mark

Mark Walsen (markwa) 01-21-2007 01:46 AM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I suspect MusicXML import will be included in Composer by the end of April<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Or perhaps sooner. At the NAMM Show yet more people are lobbying me for MusicXML import support in Composer.

Cheers
-- Mark

David Jacklin (dj) 01-21-2007 03:07 PM

Hi, Mark: You have to give

Hi, Mark:

You have to give us a blog about NAMM.

Jeez, I've been reading about NAMM in Keyboard magazine since the late 70s, but I've never known anyone who's actually been there.

Let alone, as I infer, as a presenter!

David

Herbert WENDE (herbert) 01-22-2007 05:54 AM

Hi Joerg, I have used Capel

Hi Joerg,

I have used Capella Scan 6.1 for about a year. It does not save XML files. Scanning sheet music saves a lot of time, but it is far from perfect and needs a fair bit of correction. In some cases, there is little correction required. In a few cases it did not work at all for me. Yet, I would not want to be without the software.

Let me know, how you go.

I suspect that users buy certain software only once and put up with it. What we need for this forum, is access to independent reviews of software. It may have saved recent disappointments with GPO and JABB. If Sherry or Mark is listening, can such reviews be arranged? It might not be so easy.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Mark Walsen (markwa) 01-22-2007 06:25 AM

Hello Herbert,

Hello Herbert,

I suspect that users buy certain software only once and put up with it. What we need for this forum, is access to independent reviews of software. It may have saved recent disappointments with GPO and JABB. If Sherry or Mark is listening, can such reviews be arranged? It might not be so easy.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Anyone is free to offer his review of other music software or hardware products in this "Using Notation Composer and Musician with Third Party Products" section of the forum. I'd personally prefer to see discussions about products that are used with Notation products rather than instead of Notation products (i.e., competitive products) because this forum cannot claim to host unbiased discussions about comparisons of Notation products with competitive products; other forums such as epinions can better claim impartiality.

Specifically regarding discussions about the pros and cons of GPO and JABB, I think this forum is a fine place for that, because these Garritan sound library products are highly relevant to Notation Composer users. I regard Gary Garritan as a business friend. So, if there are patterns of praise or complaints about his product expressed in this forum, I summarize and pass these on to Gary.

Cheers
-- Mark

Mark Walsen (markwa) 01-22-2007 07:04 AM

Hello David,

Hello David,

You have to give us a blog about NAMM.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>I supposed I should have been doing that each evening.

Notation Software has never had a booth a NAMM, but this was my 5th or 6th visit to it, and Celeste's (my wife's) third visit with me. We walked down every isle of NAMM, as crazy as that sounds. We like to keep our eyes and ears open.

Our favorite booth at NAMM was definitely Gary Garritan's. It had a big comfy 3-person couch facing a home-like fireplace. We only got to sit and relax in it for a while because there were so many other magazine reviewers and deal makers waiting in line.

The most nostalgic booth or exhibit was Honer's 150th year anniversary museum of their harmonicas since the late 1800s. I spotted the Military Band harmonica I played as a kid and still have, dated from the 40s to 60s. Other attendees of the conference would have cited any of at least a 100 booths that had baby boomer themes such as vintage motorcycles.

For me personally, the most interesting new technology I ran into was the Synful Orchestra. It is sort of like an orchestral sample library (such as GPO) but constructed radically differently from the sample libraries have been designed over the years. Eric Lindemann starts with sound samples of various instruments. But instead of sampling individual pitches, he samples various pairwise combinations of notes, that is, note intervals. But he doesn't sample all possible combinations, because that would be a huge number. Instead, he takes samples of just some of all of these possibilities. These interval samples are "phrases". (I'm not sure whether the original samples include more than two notes.) After doing these samples, Eric highly condenses the wave information for all of these phrases into an amazingly small 32Mb. I can hardly imagine how that is possible. Then, for playback, the Synful Orchestra "reconstructs phrases" for the specific sequences of notes in the score. It does this with an amazing degree of realism. I didn't hear the examples long enough to form any personal opinion about how well this phrase reconstruction approach compares to the traditional sampling approach. Intuitively, in seems that 32Mb of sound library information couldn't possibly produce the same quality sound as sample libraries that are 10, 100, or 1000 times as large. Yet, the fact that this phrase reconstruction approach takes into account note intervals, not just isolated note samples, suggests to me that it might offer musical expression that might even be lacking in single note sampling. I was quite fascinated by this.

Well, that is such a tiny glimpse of NAMM. I could write a couple hundred paragraphs like these, but you all might rather have me hurry home and write a couple hundred more pages of programming code.

Cheers
-- Mark

Sherry Crann (sherry) 01-22-2007 02:45 PM

Howdy guys, To address the

Howdy guys,

To address the issue of scanning particularly (jumping back a few posts), we have a "Special Music Interests" section of the website, with a page on scanning software that I tried out (trial versions). It's located at http://www.notation.com/SpecialInterests-MusicOCR.htm

It's very much just a short "these are the basic steps for doing it, and here are some scanning apps that work." If you have further suggestions (such as the Capella Scan mentioned above) that should be included on such a page, please let me know. Also, if you've been using the software, please feel free (as Mark pointed out) to post your own review/how-I-use-it-blurb in the "Using Notation with Third Party Products" section of the forum.

ttfn,
Sherry

Joerg Triesch (joerg) 01-30-2007 08:04 PM

Hi Herbert, please have a l

Hi Herbert,

please have a look. they must have included the XML-export in the most recent version 6.1.

http://www.capella.de/capscan.cfm

apart from that i would definitely be interested in your experience with cappella- scan, in particular, whether there are any significant limitations. are you able to compare with other scanning software?

best regards from the "bergstrasse".

jörg

Herbert WENDE (herbert) 02-01-2007 10:46 AM

Hi Joerg, Thank you, for po

Hi Joerg,

Thank you, for pointing out, that XML is now available in Capella Scan.

Capella Scan is the only scan software, I have used.

Here is my experience:

I have had a few program crashes in connection with selecting a beam style. Apart from that, the software has been free of bugs and has been stable. At times, there are problems with symbol interpretations, as one might expect. Some examples of problems are: a note is hidden under the treble clef, there are several ¼ rests on top of each other, ¼ rests are displayed instead of the natural symbol. To investigate, shifting or deleting a symbol, reveals what is under it. At times, I have deleted the content of on or several measures, to be later filled in, in Composer. The effect of errors is often a horizontal displacement of the notation. This is easily fixed in Composer. I remove anything suspect in Capella Scan, as it is easy to correct the notation in Composer. The editing of symbols in Capella Scan works well, but for me, Composer is superior for editing.

The above list of problems is not complete, yet Capella Scan has been most useful.

Best wishes from "berghofen",

Herbert

Mark Walsen (markwa) 02-07-2007 05:45 PM

Hello Jörg, Herbert, and Tom,

Hello Jörg, Herbert, and Tom,

Just to let you know, I'm working now on MusicXML importing for Composer, so that you will be able to import into Composer sheet music that you have scanned using any of the popular sheet music scanning programs, as they all export MusicXML.

In the next 2.0.3 release, I'm planning to include a beta release of the MusicXML import option.

Cheers
-- Mark

Joerg Triesch (joerg) 05-27-2007 09:13 PM

hi mark, the xml-import funct

hi mark,
the xml-import function is not yet include, right?
jörg

Mark Walsen (markwa) 05-27-2007 10:04 PM

Hello Jörg, Right, MusicXML

Hello Jörg,

Right, MusicXML importing has not yet been added, and is not planned now for perhaps several months. However, the priority of this can be increased if I hear from enough folk who want it pretty badly. I don't have a good feel for how many musicians-- Composers users or not-- who do or want to do music scanning.

Cheers
-- Mark

Jaap Veneman (jaapv) 05-27-2007 10:50 PM

Mark, I'm doing occasi

Mark,

I'm doing occasionally scanning music books.
For this I use Smartscore Pro (scan music)3.4.0 which does
a good job. After scanning I export the file to a xx.mid file.
The import it in Notation to further correct, arrange and prepare for printing. Works reasonable. Good be XML import could help
to take over more details but has no priority for me.

cheer Jaap

Barrie Brailsford 05-28-2007 03:23 PM

Hello there Mark, I wrote s

Hello there Mark,

I wrote some suggestions to you last year about my ideas for XML import. At that time I was working on importing a full score for the G &amp; S operetta 'The Gondoliers', which is now long since completed. I would still like to see XML import implemented as soon as possible.

Herbert WENDE (herbert) 05-31-2007 06:52 AM

Hi everyone I do a lot of s

Hi everyone

I do a lot of scanning using Capella Scan. The capability of Composer to import XML files would be appreciated.

It might not reveal the real priority for implementing this feature, when only asking current users of Composer for their views, as current users have purchased the software, knowing that XML import is not available. I suspect, that there are many more potential customers, looking closely at Composer’s capabilities and perhaps rejecting Composer because it does not have XML import

I would not put the priority for providing XML import as most important. There are more important things I would like Composer to be capable of.

My highest priorities are VST instrument use and export to .wav files, closely followed by a more flexible graphical interface that permits the positioning of the point of focus anywhere in the window, without ever having the position of the point of focus changed by Composer.

Here is another wish on my wish list: It would be nice to join several .not files into one larger file, perhaps as a batch command, without going through the copy process.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Clifton Willard (clifw) 09-17-2007 12:46 AM

I am confused. I thought you s

I am confused. I thought you said you were "I'm working now on MusicXML importing for Composer." What is the problem? You say every scanning program exports MusicXML so why prevent composer users from taking advantage of the format. Why stay behind?

I do a lot of scanning and the midi format creates a lot of unnecessary work. What are you waiting for???

Not having Music XML is your choice. Buying Composer is mine. I like composer very much but it is not worth the extra work not having MusicXML creates. Simple.
ClifW

Barrie Brailsford 09-21-2007 08:13 AM

Hi Mark, I would also like

Hi Mark,

I would also like to know if there is any chance of MusicXML import happening any time soon. I have another big scanning project pending which would be MUCH easier in XML.

Thanks,