Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Using Notation Software products with other (third party) products (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Trouble with GPO (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3095)

nimaranjbar 03-03-2010 02:52 PM

Trouble with GPO

Hello,

I am new here. I purchased Notation Composer few days ago and today I purchased GPO. I have tried searching this forums before posting yet I apologize if this is already addressed:

I first start GPO Aria player and then Notation Composer. If I play any midi file, no sound can be heard. In the Device drop down menu in staff setup, GPO is not listed and the only available option is (invalid) Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.
GPO on its own can play midi files, no problems.
I also tried the "deleting the config file" solution that was suggested in another post on this forum, but the file is not availabe in the composer directory or in its parrents.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Nima

Sherry C 03-03-2010 06:43 PM

Re: Trouble with GPO

Hi Nima,

To use the GPO Aria player directly with Composer, you'll need a virtual MIDI cable, such as LoopBe (http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html, download free at http://www.nerds.de/data/setuploopbe1.exe )

Here are the steps you'll need to do. Don't worry - it actually took me a lot longer to type it than it will to do it :)
1. Download the LoopBe installation file, and install the LoopBe virtual MIDI cable.

2. Run the Aria player, and go to Tools/Preferences.

3. In the "Input MIDI Devices", make sure there is a checkmark beside "LoopBe Internal MIDI(in)"

4. Click "Ok"

5. NOW run Composer. It will automatically detect the LoopBe cable device, which is what connects Composer to GPO Aria.

6. In Composer, click Setup/MIDI Device Configuration (the big one).

7. Right-click the LoopBe Internal MIDI Port (not device yet), and select "Properties"

8. Uncheck the "Open for MIDI input (recording)" box, then click "Ok."

9. Now right-click the LoopBe Internal MIDI Device listing, then click the "Set as default playback device." At this point, you might get a warning box from LoopBe that it has had a feedback loop. That's ok, because all you have to do is to right-click the LoopBe box and uncheck the mute. (this only happens at this one point.)

10. I also strongly urge you at this point, especially if you're going to exclusively use the GPO Aria player, to disable the GS Wavetable. Part of the beauty of the Aria player is that using ASIO drivers, you can get great sounds with no delay in recording or playback. The GS Wavetable interferes with ASIO, though, so you'll want to disable it. To do that, just right-click the GS Wavetable port in MIDI Device Configuration, and uncheck the "Open for MIDI output" box, then click "Ok."
Now, when you use the Aria device for playback, you'll just need to be sure that the channel numbers that are assigned to the loaded instruments there match up with the channel assignments in Composer's Staff/Setup for each of your staves. And be sure to always start GPO Aria BEFORE starting Composer, or it will cause the feedback loop "Mute" issue with LoopBe. If that happens, just uncheck the Mute box in LoopBe, close Aria and Composer, then reopen them in the proper order (that's a LoopBe issue).

Enjoy :)
Sherry

nimaranjbar 03-04-2010 04:20 AM

Dear Sherry,

Thank you for this. I will try it and will bug you more if unsuccesful!
But I thought GPO works with Notation Composer without virtual midi cables?

Thanks,
Nima

Sherry C 03-04-2010 11:49 AM

Hi Nima,

No bother at all :)

The first versions of GPO that used the Kontakt player(s) did work directly with Composer, as they were a detectable MIDI device. The Aria player, however, needs the virtual MIDI cable. Fortunately after you get the virtual cable installed, it thereafter runs just as if it were "direct". The main thing you'll need to remember is to run GPO BEFORE running Composer. Kind of like making sure there's water in the pot before you set it to boil :)

Do let us know if you have any more questions - there are other GPO users around as well.

ttfn,
Sherry

nimaranjbar 03-06-2010 06:24 AM

Hi Sherry,

Thank you for your help, notation composer is now connected to Aria Player.
I had to follow 2 additional "common sense" steps :
1) unmute Loopbe
2) restrat the system

Many thanks,
Nima

Sherry C 04-03-2010 02:07 PM

Hi,

You can set the channels you want in both Composer and Musician, as well as change the channel setting in GPO.

To change the channel settings for Composer:

1. To do them all from the same dialog, click on Staff/Setup
2. In the grid at the top part of the dialog, click on each channel number, and select what you want from the drop down list.
3. When you're done setting all the channels, click "Ok."

To change the channel for the instrument in GPO (this is for the Aria player)

1. Open the Aria player.
2. After loading your instruments, you can then click on the channel number in the slot (eg. "01") and a drop list will show up where you can select a different channel number. You'll want to match the channel numbers of the instruments with the channel numbers you assigned in Composer.

Joy should be yours :)

ttfn,
Sherry

dai phan 10-18-2014 01:46 AM

Hi,

I tried to set up GPO with NC as instructed but I cannot get any sounds to play back. The NC did recorded the data but no sound when played back. Please advise. Thanks Dai

Sherry C 10-18-2014 03:00 AM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by dai phan (Post 65804)
Hi,

I tried to set up GPO with NC as instructed but I cannot get any sounds to play back. The NC did recorded the data but no sound when played back. Please advise. Thanks Dai

If you're using LoopBe, make sure it is not muted. Sometimes a MIDI file will contain spurious MIDI controller events, or if both the IN and OUT are "on" for Composer, it can cause a feedback loop in LoopBe which will trigger the Mute to "on".

If the LoopBe Mute was "on", check in Composer's Setup->MIDI Device Configuration -> Internal 1 (or whatever LoopBe is called in your setup) and see if it is set as both In and Out. If it is set for both, then click on Ports -> Select Ports, and UNCHECK it in the "IN" side.

Hopefully the above tips will work for you. If not, you may want to review the tutorial videos on "Virtual MIDI Cable Installation" and "Getting Started With Garritan Libraries". And you can always ask questions here :)

Enjoy!
Sherry

Sherry C 10-18-2014 03:03 AM

AND.... if the Composer settings are correct, and the sound keeps going out (LoopBe keeps setting Mute to "on"), then try a different song file. Sometimes .mid files created with certain MIDI stations/sequencers will have a series of MIDI cc events that will trigger the feedback "Mute" in LoopBe. Alternatively, you can buy the pay-for version of LoopBe30, and you will have the option to have LoopBe not mute when such events happen.

ttfn,
Sherry

dai phan 10-18-2014 09:37 PM

Greetings,

I have tried but still no sound. I unchecked the "in" box (Loopbe internal MIDI- External port) as instructed but no sounds when test play. I also went into the staff set up and make sure it is set on channel 1 as advised on your videos but still no go. Is there anything I can do besides buying the Loopbe30 version? I have tried different MIDI files as well as my recording. I hope to get this resolved soon so I can do some recordings while the inspirations are still in my head! :) Thanks! Dai

PS: Is there a Loopbe Mute box that I am missing?

dai phan 10-18-2014 10:56 PM

Greetings,

I bought the Loopbe30 and still no play back sounds. I make sure the channels are not muted when I run the Loopbe30 monitor. I also make sure all are on channel 1 on both NC and Aria player. Somehow NC is not communicating the AP? Any help is appreciated. Dai

Sherry C 10-20-2014 04:22 PM

Hi Dai,

Is the problem with just one file, or with any file you try to play? If it's just one (or even a few different ones), please send me a copy of the file(s) to support@notation.com and I'll try them out on my set up here.

If it's a problem with all files, then there is a setting somewhere that is blocking the sound.

Some places to check:
  • Since all Garritan Libraries rely on the Mod Wheel for volume, this is one area to look at . The Aria Player is usually smart enough to add a Mod Wheel value to an incoming stream that does not have a Mod Wheel setting. However, if there is a Mod Wheel setting of "0", or if the Mod Wheel setting for a staff (which is actually a MIDI track) is quite low, then you may not hear any sound. You may want to try manually setting a Mod Wheel level for each staff using Composer's GraphOverNotes tools.
  • LoopBe30 Ports - Make sure the ports match up in Composer and Aria (for Composer this would be in MIDI Devices, and for Aria would be in Tools->Preferences->Input MIDI Devices). The rule of thumb is to use a single Input Port for each "Instance" of Aria. That way it's easier to keep them all straight :)
  • Make sure you're sending the signal from Aria to the correct sound card if you have more than one. In Aria, click on Tools -> Preferences, and then check the Audio device settings and make sure they match the sound card you are trying to use. Most of the time these settings are fine, but if you have more than one audio source/sound card, then you may need to select the proper Device and settings (I have to do that because I have two sound cards on my machine - it's bitten me more than once :) ).
  • System volume - if you can hear other audio playback (eg. YouTube, Windows Media Player, etc.) then this is probably not the problem, but it never hurts to check.
Hope the above tips get you going. If not, let us know.

ttfn,
Sherry

dai phan 10-20-2014 04:41 PM

Hello Sherry,

I will do as you suggested when I get home tonight. The problem occurs with all the MIDI files. I believe either something is muted on the Aria or the signals do not get to the Aria from the NC. I will let you know how it turns out. I wish you have live help to help me out of this predicament. Dai

dai phan 12-08-2014 09:03 PM

I still am unable to get the program running with GPO. Today when I open up the NC, it says "it has stopped working" and kicked me out. I bought the software online so please tell me how to re-install the program. Thanks Dai

Sherry C 12-08-2014 11:23 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by dai phan (Post 65871)
I still am unable to get the program running with GPO. Today when I open up the NC, it says "it has stopped working" and kicked me out. I bought the software online so please tell me how to re-install the program. Thanks Dai

Did Composer give you the above error message before opening any files, or while opening a file, or while trying to play a file? Knowing when the error message showed up is important in diagnosing the problem.

One other thing I should mention which I do not see mentioned specifically in this thread is that the GS Wavetable should be turned "OFF" in Notation Composer. To do that:
  1. Open Composer
  2. Click Setup -> MIDI Device Configuration (the "big" one)
  3. Click Port -> Select Ports
  4. In the dialog box that comes up, make sure the "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth is UNCHECKED in the right-hand panel.
  5. Click the "Ok" button to save the setting.
The GS Wavetable can interfere with ASIO drivers, and so it's best to have it OFF when using libraries or players that use ASIO.

ttfn,
Sherry

dai phan 12-09-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 65872)
Hi,

Did Composer give you the above error message before opening any files, or while opening a file, or while trying to play a file? Knowing when the error message showed up is important in diagnosing the problem.

One other thing I should mention which I do not see mentioned specifically in this thread is that the GS Wavetable should be turned "OFF" in Notation Composer. To do that:
  1. Open Composer
  2. Click Setup -> MIDI Device Configuration (the "big" one)
  3. Click Port -> Select Ports
  4. In the dialog box that comes up, make sure the "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth is UNCHECKED in the right-hand panel.
  5. Click the "Ok" button to save the setting.
The GS Wavetable can interfere with ASIO drivers, and so it's best to have it OFF when using libraries or players that use ASIO.

ttfn,
Sherry

When I click on the NC icon, it gives me the error and then closed the program. I need to re-install it again. DP