Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Notation Composer v3.0.1 (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=32363)

aulos43 04-30-2014 06:07 PM

Notation Composer v3.0.1

Hi Sherry,

I just purchased a couple of licenses for "notation composer 3 English."

Before I install it, I would like to see a bug list for this version. My concern is higher now than it may have been earlier, as I recently had a operating system failure on my Windows XP machine, where I would normally have installed first.

Currently I have only a Windows Vista machine with NC v2.6.3 installed -- I'm comfortable with the operation and work-arounds on that version and would not want a major setback there.

A bug-list for version 3.0.1 and an estimate for the schedule of the next point release would be helpful and a comfort.

Additionally, reports of experience from any early-adopters in the community would be welcome.

Thank you

Walt

----

Sherry C 04-30-2014 08:41 PM

Re: Notation Composer v3.0.1

Hi Walt,

Quote:

Originally Posted by aulos43 (Post 65546)
Hi Sherry,

I just purchased a couple of licenses for "notation composer 3 English."

Thanks!
Quote:

Before I install it, I would like to see a bug list for this version... and an estimate for the schedule of the next point release.
We don't (nor is it common practice among developers) to publish bug lists, nor do we have a specifically dated schedule for such. It would be nice, but honestly it's not realistic. Actually, in the case of a software company like Microsoft with the huge suites it publishes, it would probably be pretty scary :)

Quote:

Additionally, reports of experience from any early-adopters in the community would be welcome.
I know we have other folks around who are using it, but since I've been using it myself (on a Win 7 machine, though), I can say that I have not had any issues at all with running it, and that I'm enjoying some of the bug fixes that were incorporated. We had beta testers using lots of different systems and at many different levels, and they all have reported excellent stability of the product (Reinhold incorporated an excellent exception handling scenario).

Go ahead and give it a whirl - I think you'll be glad you did :)

ttfn,
Sherry

aulos43 04-30-2014 09:44 PM

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for the prompt reply and encouraging reports from beta and early-adopters.

I'm recovering (technologically and emotionally) from a failure-to-backup. Particularly critical in the post-XP-support era. May have lost Cubase.

When I worked in IT, it was common for new versions of software tools to provide bug-fix lists along with new-feature lists. Some even provided a triaged checklist against known major bugs. I guess this is less common for consumer software.

I've now invested in some backup solutions, and am further motivated to proceed deeper into the Logic Pro/Mac world for my full DAW needs.

Based on your recommendations, I will give v3 a whirl.

Thanks

Walt

----

Sherry C 04-30-2014 10:09 PM

Hi Walt,

You'll also be happy to know that the version 3 installation creates a backup folder that you can save and then use if you should need to reinstall the software. The first item in the Help/QuickStart Guide gives you the details :)

Enjoy!
Sherry

dj 05-01-2014 11:48 AM

Hi, Walt:

Notation Composer is a very "benign" program, in that it doesn't make any deep hooks into the system or play around with graphics settings, sound settings, etc.

While no software is completely bug-free, I can't recall a single system-crashing fault from any public version of Notation Software's programs, and I've been using them since the very first betas of version 1.

You can install with confidence.

Good luck.

David