Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Share Your Music (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Yesterdays Septet (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=31841)

rrayner 01-05-2014 03:47 PM

Yesterdays Septet

2 Attachment(s)
"Yesterdays" was written in 1933 by Jerome Kern for the Broadway show "Roberta", where it was introduced by Irene Dunne.

The septet format was my chosen band size for the band I fronted when I was playing. I wrote the original score for this piece in October, 1962, shortly after I joined the USAF Band. I can't find any original parts for it, so I have to assume it was never played. Probably I was not satisfied with the score, as I found a number of places that I changed for this version.

I paid a small tribute to Billy (Lady Day) Holiday in the ending. I had an old LP collection of jazz pieces and one of the tracks was Lady Day singing "Yesterdays". The ending for my version of "Yesterdays" is roughly the equivalent of how she and her arranger did it many years ago.

I have made under-the-covers adjustments to attack and duration of the swing figures in this score to try to make them a little bit closer to how humans would play. If you are interested, you can read more about how I did this in the following "Swing Feel" post in the Tips and tricks for using Notation Software products forum:

http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=30356

I have also attached an MP3 version of how this arrangement sounds on my Clavinova. I hope you enjoy listening to this piece.

Ralph Rayner

Sherry C 01-05-2014 10:43 PM

Re: Yesterdays Septet

Hi Ralph,

Love it! You're getting more comfortable with the drums and bass, and doing it well, too :) I'm adding this to my "play along practice" repertoire!

One thought for the score (for live musicians).
The glissandos (eg. m1, m3, m5, etc.) might be worth a "David Jacklin" treatment if you're scoring for live musicians (I noticed the instrument names on the drum staff) :)

He creates two staves for each instrument, one for "scoring", the other for "performance" which is hidden and is used for the performance of things like glissandos and other figures that Composer doesn't do "intelligently" (eg. most ornaments are done "intelligently", and play as written; glissandos are on the "to do" list, but currently have to be written out like you've done here.) In such a scenario, the glissando would show in the "scoring" staff as just the beginning and ending notes, with the glissando and line between them, the way a musician would expect to see them written. The "scoring" staff's notes can be set to a Note Velocity of 1 so that they will highlight on playback, but not be heard. The "scoring" staff is the one he prints for musicians that will be playing live.

The "performance" staff is hidden (except when working on it, of course) and is used for putting the actual notes (such as those here in the glissando figures) for making demo or backing tracks as needed, where you want to make the sound just right, even if it means messy notation. Or, in the case of something like Garritan sound libraries, such a "performance" staff is used for keyswitches and such. Staves can be hidden or shown in parts using Part/Display or Define Part. Just a thought, in case you ever need to pull dual-duty with a file.

The bass line is cool just as it is :)

ttfn,
Sherry

rrayner 01-06-2014 01:03 AM

Thank you very much for the tips and compliments, Sherry. And thank you, David, for your clever way of handling this kind of problem.

I have updated the Notation file to reflect the changes.

Ralph

dj 01-06-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry C (Post 64570)
Hi Ralph,

might be worth a "David Jacklin" treatment

ttfn,
Sherry

Trademark! Trademark! :D

rrayner 01-22-2014 03:48 PM

Sherry had pointed out to me that I had a lot of extraneous parts in the Display Part list. Cleaned those out and reposted the .not file. RRR

mgj32 01-27-2014 06:34 AM

Hi Ralph,

As usual, love it and will through repeated listenings.

Best
mgj