Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MidiNotate Composer 11 Beta Release now available (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=2247)

Mark Walsen (markwa) 07-22-2005 10:08 PM

Hello Composer Users, The f

Hello Composer Users,

The first beta release of MidiNotate Composer version 1.1 is now available at www.notation.com/ComposerBetaRelease.htm. The final release of Composer version 1.1 is scheduled for mid-August, 2005.

I encourage you to try out its many new features, which are summarized at the above web page. Composer 1.1 also fixes several bugs and usability problems. This is the first update of Composer since version 1.0.9 on Jan 25, 2005.

If you have a purchased copy of Composer, the installation of this beta release will not conflict with your purchased version. By default, the beta release is installed in a special directory name \Program Files\MidiNotate Beta

Composer 1.1 can read .not files saved by Composer 1.0.x, but Composer 1.0.x cannot read .not files aved by Composer 1.1. Therefore, it is advsied that you do not use Composer 1.1 for time-critical music projects until you feel confident about its stability. I tested each new feature and bug fix as it was done, but I have not yet done a thorough re-testing of the entire program.

If you discover any bugs or usability problems, please report them in the Beta Release section of this forum; or send the report via email to support@notation.com; or submit the report at www.notation.com/support.htm

This version 1.1 release of Composer represents a major step forward in usability and stability. It should mark Composer's arrival as a mature software product, having evolved since its 1.0 release in October, 2004 release, including 10 years of development for prior versions of MidiNotate.

Cheers
-- Mark Walsen
Developer of MidiNotate

Gracie Knafel (gknafel) 07-22-2005 11:39 PM

Congratulations, Mark! My, ha

Congratulations, Mark! My, have you been the busy one. When I read the email and all the fixes and enhancements, they just went on and on and on! What a tremendous gift to us. Thank You!

I downloaded beta 1.1, and perhaps I missed the opportunity, but it didn't ask me where to install it. Maybe I selected the wrong choice. So it updated my current version. I have complete faith in you, and I'm anxious to try it out! I have been successful to finish notating 6 pieces and have several more to notate.

I am so thrilled for you. This is a big accomplishment. Again, congratulations! I haven't been telling you my problems in the past, because I just figure it is me not knowing what I'm doing, but for this Beta, I will try to be more mindful to let you know if I have a problem. My sister is also learning to notate now using Composer. Awesome! Thanks again - Gracie Knafel

Mark Walsen (markwa) 07-23-2005 12:07 AM

Hello Gracie, Thanks for th

Hello Gracie,

Thanks for the congratulations!

I'm surprised the beta setup program didn't ask you where to install the beta release. I'll check into this.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

I haven't been telling you my problems in the past, because I just figure it is me not knowing what I'm doing.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Please don't hold off in reporting a problem. If you're having a problem, then it's probably either a bug or a usability problem. In either case, I should know about the problem so I can fix it.

I'm pleased that your sister is learning to notate music using Composer. Did she play by ear before now? I'm interested in learning whether someone new to notation can learn notation by seeing how MidiNotate notates familiar songs, sort of like learning French by having a French-speaking person point out things and name them. If you have much to tell me about this, perhaps you can start a thread on this subject under the "Your Overall Impressions and How You Use MidiNotate Musician or Composer" section of the forum.

Cheers
-- Mark

Gracie Knafel (gknafel) 07-23-2005 01:06 AM

Hi Mark: My sister, Donna M

Hi Mark:

My sister, Donna Mitchell, is an accomplished pianist and taught piano several years. She is teaching me now. I am the "play by ear" member of the family. I got started on Composer first, probably because of my need to get some songs in sheet music and my familiarity with systems. So we each bring a strength to one another. She would be a great asset to our group! We'll look into posting on "Your Overall Impressions and How You Use MidiNotate Musician or Composer".

Also, (a little excitement for me) I am in process of getting a new web site up and running and will be posting my music notated from Composer! I'll let you know once it is done. Thanks so much! - Gracie Knafel

andrew hutnick (ahutnick) 07-23-2005 04:35 AM

Hi Mark, I installed the new b

Hi Mark, I installed the new beta version and accidentally destroyed my registered version of MidiNotate composer. Will Composer Pro be released by the time this beta version expires as I plan on upgrading to it. Thanks,Andrew

Mark Walsen (markwa) 07-23-2005 08:07 AM

Hello Gracie, That's fu

Hello Gracie,

That's fun that you're setting up your own web site with your music. Be sure to let me know when your web site is ready, so we can list it on this page: http://www.notation.com/notesoftfiles.htm

Cheers
-- Mark

Mark Walsen (markwa) 07-23-2005 08:09 AM

Hello Andrew, You can re-do

Hello Andrew,

You can re-download your purchased copy of Composer at any time by following the instructions at www.notation.com/redownload.htm

Composer Pro will be released after Composer version 1.1 and thus possibly after the time that your 30-day trial period of Composer 1.1 might expire.

Cheers
-- Mark

Mark Walsen (markwa) 07-23-2005 08:07 PM

Hello Gracie and Andrew, Th

Hello Gracie and Andrew,

The Composer Beta Release setup program incorrectly overwrote your purchased copy of Composer. I have now fixed this problem with the beta setup program. If you do not have any problems using the beta release, then you can continue using it until the final release of version 1.1. For all Composer users, the upgrade to version 1.1 is free.

Cheers
-- Mark

Gracie Knafel (gknafel) 07-23-2005 10:16 PM

Thanks, Mark! That works for m

Thanks, Mark! That works for me. I will use the Beta v1.1 program. If I have any problems, I'll let you know. -Gracie

Larry S (starfish21) 07-26-2005 05:16 PM

Congratulations Mark, Compose

Congratulations Mark,
Composer has gone through quite a bit of changes and developments to emerge as (imho)the best notation product on the market. Although I have been absent from this forum lately, I use Composer almost every day for both my enjoyment and music education and I always keep up to date in reading the many messages posted by your loyal crew. I look forward to Composer and Composer Pro's continued development and wish you much success.

Regards
Larry S

Mark Walsen (markwa) 07-26-2005 06:56 PM

Hi Larry, It's good to

Hi Larry,

It's good to hear from you, and to know you're still tuned into the forum as a long-time, early beta tester. Thanks for the congratulations!

Cheers
-- Mark

andrew hutnick (ahutnick) 07-27-2005 05:27 AM

Hi Mark, When I tried to re-do

Hi Mark, When I tried to re-download my copy of Composer I got a notice saying that your One week in which you can download Midi-Notate Composer has expired. And the notice says to contact you or submit a form to them. Now this is not a problem for me as long as the new version of MidiNotate Composer is released by the time the beta version expires and of course that I am able to download the new version when it comes out. Thanks, Andrew

Mark Walsen (markwa) 07-27-2005 07:20 AM

Hello Andrew, I will contin

Hello Andrew,

I will continue to issue beta releases of Composer 1.1 that reset the trial period until the date at which the final version of Composer 1.1 is released. And then you will be able to upgrade for free from Composer 1.0.x to the final release of Composer 1.1.

The only situation which could be potentially awkward is if you have done a lot of work on a song in the beta release of Composer 1.1, and then run into a serious bug that prevents you from working further. In that case, you would also not be able to continue work in Composer 1.0.9, because 1.0.9 cannot read .not files saved by Composer 1.1. In that case, you (or anyone else in this situation) should report the serious bug in the 1.1 beta release to me, and I will give it my highest priority for fixing. That is, my highest priority would be to remove the road-block in the beta release of 1.1 that was preventing you to continue work with your song.

Cheers
-- Mark

David Teall (medman) 07-29-2005 09:46 AM

Would it not be possible to sa

Would it not be possible to save a file in .mid format using Beta 1.1 and then re-open that in 1.0.9? I know the composer-specific information would be lost, but it would enable work to continue.

Sherry Crann (sherry) 07-29-2005 01:54 PM

Howdy David, Yes, you'v

Howdy David,

Yes, you've made an excellent point. I always try to remember to do that when I'm working on a file in a beta version so I'll at least have something to go back to if I need music right away. However, as you also point out, there is potentially a lot of information that can get lost if you can't open and work on the .not file. It's not such a big deal if you're using the program mostly as a sequencer (ie, for performance of music), as all the midi info will remain in the .mid file. But, if you're using a lot of the cool notation features to work up really nice sheet music, then you won't have all that in the .mid file.

ttfn,
Sherry

Mark Walsen (markwa) 07-29-2005 05:47 PM

Hello David and Sherry, Eve

Hello David and Sherry,

Everything that both of you said above is correct.

I do hope you'll try out the beta release of Composer 1.1. I'll be releasing it in a few weeks, once I get its documentation up-to-date.

Cheers
-- Mark