Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Volume Saving (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=32565)

Impulse 04-11-2015 11:23 PM

Volume Saving

I like to modify midi music to play to from my sax, violin,clarinet and cello, and I do this very well with "Notation" (thank you).
The question I have is that I can change key, instrument, tempo etc. but I can save everything except the modifide volume. This is as adjusted to the volume of the total song. The volume always wants to reset back to the original mid point. Seems a small detail but it is important for what I am doing.
Thanks, Impuse

herbert 04-12-2015 12:45 AM

Re: Volume Saving

Hi Impulse,

To change permanently the volume of a staff (instrument), you need to change Channel Volume CC7. Do this under the menu “Staff – Setup ...”. Here you change the volume of all of the staff by entering a number of 0 to 127 under “Vol”

“Graph over Notes” allows you to permanently change the volume of parts of a staff, including changing the volume gradually.

Herbert

Impulse 04-12-2015 09:19 AM

Thank you for that Herbert, but as I understand it the volume changes you have suggested is for the instrument being played only. I want everything not just a line e.g. Melody but all instruments and accompanying bits.
Perhaps I can describe it better if when a piece of midi music that Notation has saved, is playing you can adjust the Volume of what is coming out of the amp or phones by moving the slide making it louder or softer. It is this setting on the slide that I want to capture and use each time I play this midi.

dj 04-12-2015 02:35 PM

Hello, Impulse:

Notation Composer has no provision for globally changing and saving the overall volume of a piece. As Herbert noted, the Volume slider is only a temporary "wood-shedding" tool.

I think this largely goes back to the fact that the midi standard itself has no global volume control. Volume is only adjustable per channel. Back in 1982 when Midi was created, no one envisioned being able to control multiple channels of midi on one instrument, so one channel at a time seemed to be enough (the Sequential Circuits Six-Track synth being an exception). Heck, it was two years before any of Yamaha's instruments transmitted Midi on any channel except Channel 1.

As Herbert says, you can use the GraphOverNotes (TM) feature to adjust each track's volume setting. By doing that, you can save each file's settings and have them balanced out over the whole set of files you want to play.

You could also use the Note Velocity tools to globally reduce the velocity of each note. From the Note Velocity toolbar, use CTRL-A, QCRN to select all notes, then L-Up/Down Arrow to set a new mean velocity for the selected notes. Or the "96" tool to directly enter a value. While Note Velocity does not, strictly speaking, correspond exactly to volume, it usually has the same effect.

I hope that helps.

David

Impulse 04-13-2015 07:18 AM

Thank you both for your comments. I`ve got a result now that is working fine.
Impulse (Russ)