Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   NC places notes on wrong Piano Staff (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3840)

gaylestuff 09-23-2011 03:53 PM

NC places notes on wrong Piano Staff

I'm trying to create music for the piano from a Midi File.

Notation Composer is making notes for the left hand staff that are 3 and 4 spaces about the LH staff instead of making the notes on the RH Staff. Is there a setting that I'm missing?

Here is an example: LH playing a G Octave up into the Treble cleff. While the right hand is playing a D and B. MUCH easier if the right hand were to play the Treble clef G.

Sherry C 09-23-2011 11:59 PM

Re: NC places notes on wrong Piano Staff

Hi Gayle,

To shift a note from one staff to another, (1) click on the note to select it and (2) hold the Shift key and press either the Up or Down arrow key to shift the note to the staff above or below its present location.

ttfn,
Sherry

dj 09-24-2011 02:08 PM

Hi, Sherry, Gayle:

Sherry, maybe I'm dreaming, but was there not, at one time, an option to select the break-point note for when Composer transcribes for two hands?

In other words, an option to select, say, all notes from middle C and above for the treble staff and all notes below it for the bass staff.

Or perhaps, I'm confused. Easily done.

David

Sherry C 09-24-2011 07:51 PM

Hi David (and Gayle),

No such "break point" option exists currently (and never has). It is a "wish list" item to add that option, but the current algorithm actually is much more complex than a simple "all notes above X are right hand, all notes below are left hand". Typically Composer does a pretty good job of analyzing hand movement and placement and thereby putting the notes on either the treble or bass staff accordingly, but it's still (obviously) not perfect :)

ttfn,
Sherry

herbert 09-27-2011 02:00 PM

Hi galestuff, Sherry, dj,

David, you said:

“Sherry, maybe I'm dreaming, but was there not, at one time, an option to select the break-point note for when Composer transcribes for two hands?”

Most of us are dreaming from time to time. In this case you may not have been dreaming.

As you know, Composer has some very powerful functions. One of the functions, meant for percussion notation, permits notes to be separated into individual staves. Notes can then be manipulated separately and assembled back into one or several staves. The function is “Split drums”. I have found this function very useful.

In relation to gaylestuff’s problem, Sherry’s suggestion is the correct way to go, in my view.

Best wishes,

Herbert