Notation Software Users Forum

Notation Software Users Forum (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/index.php)
-   Questions or problems (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Useing Notation (http://www.notation.com/vb-forum/showthread.php?t=3922)

Dannyboy 12-01-2011 04:41 PM

Useing Notation

I am a complete novice, and don`t know where to start, I have been going through the Help and tutorial, also the documention and the more I read through the more I get bogged down. My question is do I use a blank floppy disk or USB, and then use Notation to Sequence and record, I am useing Tyros 3, So where do I go from here ? (Sensible replies Please.

Dannyboy:confused:

Sherry C 12-01-2011 05:25 PM

Re: Using Notation

Hi,

What do you want to do? If you want to start out with files you find on the internet, what do you want to do with them? (eg. print sheet music for the piano, but take out the piano part to play along with; start from scratch and enter some sheet music, etc.)

By knowing what you want to do, and how you want to accomplish it, we can give better answers about what to do to get there :)

ttfn,
Sherry

Dannyboy 12-01-2011 07:43 PM

Re: Useing Notation

Thank You for your reply to my rather vacant question, I`m pleased you understood me.
Just suppose that I have already Played song on my keyboard, useing perhaps just a piano voice. I then save on to a flash drive. Would I be able then to go to Notation, and then use other voiceing from Notation I.E. Trumpet. Violin Strings ect, Or do I have to use the Midi downloads from Notation. I hope I have made this clear enough, also thanks for helping me

Dannyboy

Sherry C 12-01-2011 08:14 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyboy (Post 16441)
Just suppose that I have already Played song on my keyboard, useing perhaps just a piano voice. I then save on to a flash drive. Would I be able then to go to Notation, and then use other voiceing from Notation I.E. Trumpet. Violin Strings ect, Or do I have to use the Midi downloads from Notation.

Just a bit of "foundation" here about the voices in Notation Composer, and I think you'll be on your way :) (The short answer to the first part of your question is "yes, you can take a .mid file recorded from your keyboard to Notation Composer and change the instrument sound.")

Notation Composer uses the MIDI playback device(s) that you have on your computer. The default one is the GS Wavetable which is present on all Windows computers. For any staff of a file when you open it in Notation Composer, you can change the instrument that plays those notes. So, yes, you could record using a piano sound, but then change the instrument to clarinet in Notation Composer. However, do be aware that the sound quality of the clarinet that plays while using the GS Wavetable won't be as nice as the clarinet (or other instruments!) using your Tyros 3.

If you have a way to connect your Tyros to your computer, you can use it as your MIDI playback device and have nicer sound. Another benefit of such a setup is that you could then record directly from it into Notation Composer, saving the "save to file, open file in Notation Composer" steps.

Hope the above is helpful.
Sherry

dj 12-02-2011 01:15 PM

And following on to Sherry's comment: a cable to connect your Tyros to your computer can be had for under $20 if you don't want extra bells and whistles. Look for USB to MIDI cables (I assume the Tyros has a USB-MIDI output.)

Good luck.

David